Endpoint Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  Symantec Encryption Desktop not allowing me to enter passphrase

Posted Feb 10, 2018 04:34 PM

I have a HP 8200 Elite Desktop with a Samsung SSD and recently installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 without any issues. I then installed a copy of Symantec Encryption Desktop v10.4.1MP2 software and the encryption process went through without a hitch; that was until I rebooted the PC.

I get the Symantec prompt asking me to enter the passphrase but the keyboard doesnt respond. I've tried pressing F4 as indicated to show the keyboard without success. The system has actually locked up as the Caps Lock and Numlock keys doesn't show the light going on and off. The keyboard is a USB connected keyboard and works fine as I can access the BIOS settings without any problems.

I have already reset the BIOS settings to factory default. Any ideas most welcomed?

I assume I can use a Symantec recoery CD to decrypt the drive as I have the encryption key to hand? Do you have a link for the Encryption Desktop v10.4.1MP2? software?

• 2.  RE: Symantec Encryption Desktop not allowing me to enter passphrase
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 11, 2018 08:19 AM

FIXED IT! Having already tried a working USB and wireless keyboard to no avail, I thought I'd give the PS/2 keyboard a try - and it worked!

For some reason the Symantec Encryption Desktop would not recognise any keystrokes on a USB keyboard but worked fine with the PS/2 connection. Worth a try if you're experiencing the same issue. 

• 3.  RE: Symantec Encryption Desktop not allowing me to enter passphrase

Posted Apr 08, 2020 12:19 PM
    Any idea if my laptop is not equipped with ps/2. I am facing the same issue and cannot seem to work around it

• 4.  RE: Symantec Encryption Desktop not allowing me to enter passphrase

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 09, 2020 09:35 AM
    Do you have the same system as the original poster, an HP 8200 Elite Desktop, or something different?  I would suggest: make sure you're on the latest version of Encryption Desktop (10.4.2 MP4, as of this post), and make sure the USB keyboard is plugged directly in to the computer, not through a USB hub.  Encryption's preboot screen has basic drivers for USB, and some third party USB hubs, especially USB 3.x, use non-standard chipsets.  You'll also want to check your BIOS settings to make sure it supports external peripherals prior to Windows, as this is typically not the default.

• 5.  RE: Symantec Encryption Desktop not allowing me to enter passphrase

Posted Dec 25, 2022 12:23 PM
    Hello, I have the same problem with a Lenovo Legion laptop, when I installed Symantec Encryption Desktop everything was fine until it rebooted. When I turn on it shows the SED screen and the box to type the passphrase but does not allow me to type, it does not detect the keystrokes, which prevents me from accessing. I press F2 for the keyboard and it does not work, what can I do in this situation if the laptop does not have inputs other than the basic ones (USB 2.0 and 3.0)?
    Thanks