Deployment Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Error 1641 while installing Project 2010

Posted Oct 04, 2010 01:47 AM

While installing Project 2010, when the setup.exe is executed and it has installed Project 2010 it stops the process and gives an error message on Altiris with error code as 1641.

The installation is fine however as it stops the process, the next script that I've added to activate Project without user intervention doesn't work for MAK.

• 2.  RE: Error 1641 while installing Project 2010

Posted Oct 04, 2010 07:08 AM

Error 1641 means the machine requires a reboot but has succeeded with the install.

To get around your problem, would you be able to run your job on the MSI rather than the EXE? You can then use an MST to provide the serial number and supress the reboot...

• 3.  RE: Error 1641 while installing Project 2010

Posted Oct 04, 2010 08:26 AM

In the job that you are getting this message, you'll want to add this code under "Other return codes" located on the "Return codes and Rip and replace options" of the job.

By default, DS only sees a return code of "0" as a success.  You just have to let it know that 1641 is a success.  You may want to add a reboot command somewhere though as that is what it is trying to tell you that you need to do.

• 4.  RE: Error 1641 while installing Project 2010
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 04, 2010 11:11 AM

Hi,

When we script, we allow error codes like this to be considered a success if we include a verbose statement in the Return code (keeps these systems from showing up on the DS in the 'computers with failed jobs' query clean).

Whether you allow the job to continue or fail, add something like '1641 - System requires a reboot to complete install' in the status box on the 'Return codes and Rip and replace options' in the 'Add Return Code' window.  That way, if a reboot task is out of the question, you know that the 1641 error occurred if someone calls for help with the application. (You can sort on 'status' to show all 1641 errors.)

Also, be sure to uncheck 'Add to Master return code list'.  1641 is already in the master code list, you just want to return a unique error and verbose status displayed for that particular job.

When doing a large deployment, we find this useful to help sort any issues during large testing or post deploy.

I hope you find this information useful.

• 5.  RE: Error 1641 while installing Project 2010

Posted Oct 06, 2010 01:47 PM

I am using Office Customization Tool for 2010 and it install the applications with the .exe file. I haven't tried the .msi file as this the .exe file looks for the MST file in the update folder.

• 6.  RE: Error 1641 while installing Project 2010

Posted Oct 07, 2010 08:08 AM

The Office Customization Tool doesn't matter.  You just need to add the error message that you are getting into the "Return codes and Rip and replace options" screen of your task in the job.  Make sure to set the code as success as well as the response should be set to "continue".  This will treat the code as a success and then kick off the next task in your job.  I would add a reboot into your job at some point as well as the error code means that the computer needs to be rebooted.