Management Center and Reporting

View Only
  • 1.  Data loss or not ? when the ssl regeneration of RP-S500 run.

Posted Sep 07, 2020 02:54 AM
    Dear Sirs,

I use RP-S500 appliance.
    I will regenerate the SSL Cer for the management console with "ssl regenerate" command.
    When the "ssl generate" command run, the report function is stopped, ssl regenerate,
    and the report function is restart.
    I would like to know the following processing when the "ssl regenerate" run.

1) Access log of ProxySG upload into the FTP Server of RP-S500.
    ( FTP Server is built in RP-S500.)
    2) The ProxySG log in RP-S500 is downloaded.

If the "ssl regenerate" run while the above data uploading/downloading is processing,
    will the uploading/downloading process be restart automatically after the ssl regenerate
    is completed ?

Are there possible to occur the data loss due to thid ssl reaeration ?

Regards,

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Y.Kobayashi
    Nissho Electronics, Corp
    Network Engineer
    Tokyo, Japan

• 2.  RE: Data loss or not ? when the ssl regeneration of RP-S500 run.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 11, 2020 02:13 PM
    Edited by Jacob Miles Sep 11, 2020 02:13 PM
    Hi Yoshinori,

Is there potential for data to be lost if Reporter goes offline during an upload? No. What you want to worry about is the defined behavior on the ProxySG if Reporter stays offline for a long period of time. Let me explain.

If you have logging on the ProxySG set to periodic upload, and something fails in the connection during upload, the ProxySG will simply try uploading the Access Log later. If you have logging set to continuous upload, the ProxySG will start storing the logs on ProxySG until Reporter is available again, and then start offloading the logs to Reporter again.

The only issue happens when Reporter has been offline for some time (for most customers I have dealt with - a few weeks) and there are too many logs on ProxySG. It runs out of allotted space to store the logs. On the ProxySG, under Configuration > Access Logging > General > Global Settings, you will notice that there is a limit to the combined log sizes that you can adjust, as well as a behavior choice of what happens when that max size is reached.

As mentioned before, typically it takes days to get to the point that ProxySG runs out of space, and either stops logging, or deletes the oldest stored logs. If something happens, and Reporter is down for a few hours, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Hope this helps!

• 3.  RE: Data loss or not ? when the ssl regeneration of RP-S500 run.

Posted Sep 14, 2020 07:03 AM
    Hi Jacob,

Thanks.
    Your reply was very helpful for me.
    Well, I have one more question.
    How about Data Base generation ?
    When the SSL Cer re-generation run while Data Base generation running, will the running Data Base generation occur incorrect state ?

Regards,
    Y.Kobayashi
    Nissho Electronics, Corp
    Network Engineer
    Tokyo, Japan