Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Application Error 10008

Posted Jun 23, 2009 05:38 PM
    I am getting the Unexpected end of file error and have run the ghofix.exe tool from this thread http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/unexpected-end-file-when-deploying-image-ghost  with no luck. Is there anything else that I can try. This is an image that is over 4gb in size so it is on a thumb drive and in bootable UDF format. Could that be the source of my problems? The thumb drive boots fine and everything goes good until it is 6 percent complete. Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Application Error 10008

Posted Jun 23, 2009 10:06 PM
     I ran verify on this image and it fails. Is this due to the bootable udf format or possibly using a usb drive in the place of a dvd?

• 3.  RE: Application Error 10008

Posted Jun 25, 2009 03:52 AM
    Hi,

The image may be corrupted or the thumb drive could be slow when accessing large amount of data. Does it fails at the exact same point every time? If that's the case, it could be due to an image corruption.

I have seen timeouts when using USB drives under DOS. Could you try copying the image to another media (network/DVD/Local Hard disk) and try?

Krish

• 4.  RE: Application Error 10008

Posted Jul 05, 2009 10:35 AM
    Hi, I have an ACER Aspire 1640 with partitioned HDD. Ghost 8.2 creates backup to E drive or CD/DVD. Restore of latest backup from D drive image fails with error 10008 after about 800MB, likewise with restore from DVD copy of same image & also a 1year old backup. Seems to fail on a different file most times. Original factory default image restores OK from CD. Earlier backups have restored OK from D drive, but have been erased to make room for latest backup. Tried running ghofixup cd & span, but get "not a valid image file".
    As this is a bundled package, I don't have a copy of Ghost Explorer to try to fix it. Is there a way of downloading just Explorer?
    Any help would be appreciated, as this is my wife's PC with 4 years work on it....................................

Thanks,
    Derek.

• 5.  RE: Application Error 10008

Posted Jul 06, 2009 09:40 AM
    I found a copy of Ghost Explorer, but it is looking for a .GHO file. All of my images have only .GHS files. Even the factory default image has no .GHO files, but it restores OK.

Derek

• 6.  RE: Application Error 10008

Posted Jul 06, 2009 11:03 AM

Try renaming the GHS file to GHO.

HOWEVER, if the ghost files are over 4Gb, perhaps you should consider WinPE as your boot media, as the command version of Ghost.exe will run on WinPE, and WinPE does not have the limitations of DOS when it comes to volume sizing.

• 7.  RE: Application Error 10008

Posted Jul 13, 2009 01:15 AM
    Hi,

By the way, GHS are spans. You should have a GHO file, which is the first span and subsequent spans are names with ghs extension. (in older versions they used to be .001, .002 etc instead of .GHS but it was breaking Windows logo certification).
    Renaming GHS to GHO would not help since you would be missing the first span.

Krish