IT Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Question about this CEM Report

Posted Jun 29, 2021 05:13 PM
    I have a question trying to understand the report called "Transferred Data trend by Gateway" found in
    Reports > Notification Server Management > Cloud-enabled Management > Gateway .

What is Min and Max transferred data? is it outbound and inbound data? 

attached is the screenshot of the graph:

------------------------------
    mklesa

• 2.  RE: Question about this CEM Report

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 30, 2021 06:16 AM

Hello HXG!

Part of query of this report shows that it calculates sent & received bytes

SELECT tmp.id, tmp.EndDate AS [Date],
    MAX(evt.[Sent Bytes] + evt.[Received Bytes]) AS [Max Transferred Data],
    MIN(evt.[Sent Bytes] + evt.[Received Bytes]) AS [Min Transferred Data]
    FROM [dbo].[Evt_AeX_AC_CEM_Gateway] evt
    JOIN #tmp_Period tmp ON evt._eventTime BETWEEN tmp.StartDate AND tmp.EndDate
    WHERE @Gateway = '%'
    OR @Gateway = evt.Gateway
    GROUP BY tmp.id, tmp.EndDate
    ORDER BY tmp.id

Since only internet based clients are working (downloading all data, such as policies, packages from Package servers and sending events to Notification Server which isn't in internet and is in intranet) through CEM Gateway this report shows inbound/outbound data.

Thanks,

IP.

Software QA Engineer
    Broadcom Inc.

• 3.  RE: Question about this CEM Report

Posted Jun 30, 2021 11:32 AM
    Thank you. Is there a report that would show amount of data the internet based clients are receiving, a daily aggregate? we want to know how much CEM is being utilized.

mklesa

• 4.  RE: Question about this CEM Report
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 01, 2021 11:45 AM
      |   view attached

There is no default reports which will show how much data is transferred via CEM only because client can start downloading via UNC, P2P or Http(s) in intranet mode and then switch to CEM mode and continue downloading remaining data of package via Https so it is not possible to determine that client exactly downloaded this data when it was only in CEM mode.

For example, there is "Packages Distribution by Download Type" report which shows packages, their size, amount of downloads and how it was downloaded by clients. 

By mouse double click on package name, you can drill-down report to see which client computers downloaded it and how (UNC, P2P or Http(s))

Download history of packages by client computers also stored in Evt_AeX_SWD_Package SQL table.

I've created today custom report where you can filter out report data output to see only for last %N% days information and also can choose required Org group then report data will be shown only for them. It's just for summary to see how fast, how often computers are downloading packages (it doesn't show exact cases when package was downloaded when client in CEM)

Download attached "Information about downloaded packages by managed client computers.xml"  > open SMP Console > Reports > All Reports > mouse right click on root "Reports" folder > Import .xml

Thanks,
    IP.

Software QA Engineer
    Broadcom Inc.

• 5.  RE: Question about this CEM Report

Posted Jul 06, 2021 08:51 PM
    Thank you so much Igor!

mklesa

• 6.  RE: Question about this CEM Report

Posted Sep 10, 2021 12:06 AM

Hi Igor,
    I just opened a case for the same weirdness in data inside the Evt_AeX_AC_CEM_Gateway as reported by HXG with this post about that report.

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but this explanation does not make much sense to me.

There are two columns in the table:
    [sent bytes] and [received bytes], which could very well be inbound and outbound traffic.

The formulas you're showing though, are summing up both the values, to then take the minimum value and the maximum value of these sums, inside the considered time period grouping.

Since sent and received traffic are summed together, then the result inbound in one case and outbound traffic in the other.. it's both at the same time.. and in fact, it would not make sense to have a received traffic about the same value of the sent traffic: clients download patches, software etc (many GB of traffic) but only send inventories (few KB of traffic) so in a real scenario, sent traffic (seen from the gateway) should be a lot higher than received.

The negative values have to be something else, and in fact if you look closely you see that there's something else going on:
    The table columns are both big int, but the maximum and minimum values NEVER go outside a signed integer (-2147483648, 2147483647).. thus to me it seems that there is a bug in what concerns data collection and subsequent storing of the data.

If the data is collected as signed integer, saving it this way makes complicated to get back to the original value.. where -2147483648 would be a 0, and 2147483647 would be full 32bit (4294967296) of the integer.

It seems to me that storing it this way just messes things up, and it messes things up also in the ootb chart that HXG posted.
    I hope I will be able to discuss this with the support through the case I've opened, and in case I will update this topic.