IT Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Port Exclusion from the ITMS

Posted Nov 15, 2020 11:45 AM
    Hello Experts!

Quick question:
    we know from this link: Ports and Protocols for Symantec IT Management Suite (ITMS) 7.5, ITMS 7.5 SP1, 7.6, 8.0, 8.1 and 8.5 , that the ITMS uses a extensive variety of ports for all kind of tasks.

if we wish to exclude a few ports from being used , since we require them for other tools, where and how can we edit the ports?

Thanks,

Hagai

• 2.  RE: Port Exclusion from the ITMS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 16, 2020 04:40 AM
    Hi Hagai!

1. 8080 port is used by UHS service "Unified Help System 7.0" which allows you to open offline in case if no internet is available on NS or if internet connection exists, then redirect to online ITMS Help.
    If you click "F1" button in opened SMP Console (You have UHS installed as well as Documentation) then it will opens help page 

Solutions:
    1. You can just stop/disable "SymHelp 7.0" service so it will never start up and doesn't consume 8080 port

2. If you don't need this help functionality and always can open direct help link https://help.symantec.com/cs/ITMS8.5/SMPlat/home/title?locale=EN_US in browser, then you can just uninstall "UHS" component and 8080 port will be free and not in use by UHS service

Execute uninstall.bat and then UHS service will be uninstalled on your Notification Server.

3. If you still need "UHS" service available/running on Notification Server, you can change its default 8080 port to another free port.
    For example, change of UHS 8080 port to 8181
    Modify "install.bat" file and change there 8080 port to another available port

Execute "uninstall.bat" to uninstall current UHS service

Modify "index.html" file from "C:\Program Files\Altiris\Documentation\Web\en\index.htm" and change there 8080 port to a new one

Now click "install.bat" to install UHS service back and on its start up it will listening your specified port

Restart IIS, Altiris Service & "Symhelp 7.0" services

2) For other ports which were mentioned, I don't see that they are used by ITMS so better at least execute this simple command line and check file to probably identify who is using these ports, of course if it will be able to gather their name info.
    netstat -abnfq >> "C:\UsedPorts.log"

Thanks,
    IP.

------------------------------
    Software QA Engineer
    Broadcom Inc.

• 3.  RE: Port Exclusion from the ITMS

Posted Nov 16, 2020 05:00 AM
    Thank you Igor for this, I'm be sure to use for port 8080!!!

Will these instructions work for the other more important ports? (9090 and 9092) ?
    I couldn't find them specifically being used in the post list link, but I know they are under the dynamic array:

NS Data Connector TCP/UDP Outbound 1024-65536 In case data sources like ODBC or OLEDB are used, outgoing connection may be required to specific services defined by driver used. AexSvc, W3SVC No
    UNIX, Linux or Mac client computer TCP Outbound Source ports 1024 and above To the Notification Server, Package and Task  Servers. No, the ports randomly selected when connection is established.
    TFTP Server TFTP over UDP Inbound/Outbound 1024-65535 TFTP file download port. TFTP Server uses the first available free port for TFTP file download. SymantecNetworkBootServiceTftp No
    SNMP TrapListener Protocol UDP   1024-65536 Four additional UDP ports is opened by net-snmp open source library used by our code. MetricProvider, AtrsHost

My concern is this:
    I am not sure the ITMS uses ports 9090 / 9092, but i would like to prevent it from doing so, but from the ITMS side, and not from the network firewall side.

Thanks instructions you just sent, but to be a bit clearer to my question, let me ask this:

Amount the things the ITMS is listed above to use random ports from 1024-65535 , i wish to prevent the ITMS from using ports 9090 & 9092.
    how is this possible to do from the ITMS side (and not from network and firewall side)

thanks again,

Hagai

• 4.  RE: Port Exclusion from the ITMS

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 16, 2020 06:02 AM
    Looks like for such case you will need to create a custom outbound/inbound Firewall rules which will include required applications and their blocked ports range 9090-9092, if you have such service installed/running:

• "Altiris Service" service -> "C:\Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\Bin\AeXSVC.exe"
    • "Altiris Object Host Service" service -> "C:\Program Files\Altiris\TaskManagement\AtrsHost.exe"
    • "Altiris Monitor Agent" service -> "C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Agents\Monitor Agent\AeXMetricProv.exe"
    • "SymantecNetworkBootServicePxe" service -> "C:\Program Files\Altiris Agent\Agents\Deployment\SBS\SbsServer.exe"
    • "SymantecNetworkBootServiceTftp" service -> "C:\Program Files\Altiris Agent\Agents\Deployment\SBS\SbsMtftp.exe"
    • "ODBC" or "OLEDB" drivers in case if you are using "Data Connection" functionality in ITMS
    • "W3SVC" service -> "C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k iissvcs"

Because in ITMS there is no settings to set appropriate allowed ports range per required program and only such settings are available to control

"Connection Profile" where you can specify required port per Protocol which will be used in "Network Discovery" tasks, "Virtual Machine Management" solution, "Monitor Solution" for an agentless monitoring of devices in network, etc.

Port settings for "Monitor Agent" which will be used by this MetricProvider service on windows server

Software QA Engineer
    Broadcom Inc.

• 5.  RE: Port Exclusion from the ITMS

Posted Nov 16, 2020 06:19 AM

Thank you very much Igor for the detailed information!

(And that what I was afraid of, that this will have to be a network firewall change per each source /destination, and not something that could have been done from inside the ITMS itself).

• Worth maybe for future ITMS versions that this could be a very important and vital change in the upcoming releases.....

Tnx,

Hagai

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    A member of the Intel Corporation group of companies

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for
    the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review or distribution
    by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
    recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.