Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Software Compliance always reporting unkown and not running

Posted Dec 02, 2021 09:43 AM

Hi,

I have software delivery policy on 8.5 RU3 that delivers and runs fine on nearly all computers. However on some it just sticks at status 'unkown'. The policy has been delivered, the times for checking come and go but the policy doesn't report anything, even though it should. I've done all the usual checks Maintenance windows, agent settings, confirmed not in compliance etc. Any suggestions as to why and how to force a run?

Thanks in advance

Hannah

• 2.  RE: Software Compliance always reporting unkown and not running

Posted Dec 03, 2021 04:24 AM
    Hi Hannah,
    On the "some" computers, do they happily run other policies? I've had some machines which look ok but which have turned out to have broken Software Management plugins. Removing the plugins with AeXNSAgent then letting them reinstall has got things moving again.
    HTH
    Martin

• 3.  RE: Software Compliance always reporting unkown and not running

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 03, 2021 04:42 AM
    Hello Hannah !

> WHY 
    Compliance status gets into unknown state back once the policy undergoes ANY changes (besides scheduling) and arrives to the agent.  In this case agent treats the policy as "never run with the current policy definition", i.e unknown.
    Unfortunately without full understanding what goes on the agent side (agent side logs/tasks history/etc) it is impossible to determine the reason.  I would recommend to use your support channel to escalate the problem for the proper investigation .
    The question is - is the problem in the NOT RUNNING the policy or the problem is in NOT SENDING the compliance status ?
    Might it be the case that the policy constantly changes on the server side between the runs on the agent side ?

>  HOW TO FORCE A RUN
    If the question is about POLICY RUN then 
    * Option 1 - login to agent and kick off the policy manually from the UI 
    * Option 2 - create additional client script task of type VBScript with the following code 

set agent = CreateObject("Altiris.AeXNSClient")
    set swd = agent.ClientPolicyMgr.ClientAgent("Altiris.SWD")
    swd.RunAdvertisement "{Managed delivery policy guid, mind the curly bracets just in case}", 1

If the question is about forcing RE-SENDING the up to date compliance status during policy execution then you may use a script task to setup the following registry key on the agent side:
    DWORD 
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Altiris\Altiris Agent\SMFAgent\Delivery\Options\MinimumComplianceStatusInterval
    This is the minimal interval since last sending (in DAYS ) when compliance status will be forcibly sent during next policy execution at compliance check phase.

Regards
    Artur

------------------------------
    Software Engineer 5
    Broadcom Inc.
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Software Compliance always reporting unkown and not running

Posted Dec 04, 2021 03:48 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I spoke to some long standing customers with suitable experience and they said yes... the following tend to throw this issue up

- Systems that are rebuilt without first deleting them from the database 
    - Policies with multiple schedules
    - Version below 8.5 RU4

As these three condition seem to be met by the particular machines, policies and NS version (8.5. RU3)  I'm now trying a few things out., though the suggestion is this was fixed from 8.5 RU4 onwards

Thanks for the script to force the policy to run. Useful and will try it on the rogue machines.