Endpoint Protection

Expand all | Collapse all

Virus Definition out of date but live update says all products and components are up-to-date

• 1.  Virus Definition out of date but live update says all products and components are up-to-date

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 01-18-2011 09:02 AM

We are running Symantec Anti virus Corporate Edition (Version 8.1.0.825) on MS Windows Server 2003, as much as it is an older version it's served us well and have had no issues before now.

A few users had notifications that the virus definition file is older than 90 days.

Having checked live update has still been updating on a daily basis, I even did it manually and it is saying that All of the Symantec products and components installed on your computer are up-to-date.

It is 18/01/2011 and a the version of the virus Definition file says 18/10/201 rev. 2.

Obviously something isn't quite right as there have been updates almost on a daily basis. I downloaded an update and ran it on the server and the version did change (it has now changed back to 18/10/2010 rev. 2)  but this did not filter through to the individual users' machines. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Virus Definition out of date but live update says all products and components are up-to-date

Posted 01-18-2011 09:10 AM

Symantec Antivirus 8.0 reached its End of Support Life as of November 30, 2005 and Symantec Antivirus 8.1 reached its End of Support Life as of January 31, 2007, as defined in the Symantec Enterprise Technical Support Policy. Therefore virus definition updates are no longer supported for this product.

however u can still try this doc

you can clear all the old defs and start updating using the intelligent updater.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH100019&locale=en_US

• 3.  RE: Virus Definition out of date but live update says all products and components are up-to-date

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 01-18-2011 01:02 PM

Rafeeq is right.  The modern definitions are too large for SAV 8.x to be able to handle them. I would strongly consider upgrading. Antivirus is no longer enough for the current threat landscape.

sandra

• 4.  RE: Virus Definition out of date but live update says all products and components are up-to-date

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 04-06-2011 12:45 PM

I had a similar problem this morning. Endpoint gave a warning that the virus definitions were more than 30 days old, but Live Update said the all products are up to date. I googled for a solution and ended up at this thread.

The solution in my case was simply correcting my time and date. I had inadvertently set the date to Aug 2011. When I reset the date to today's date, April 6, all was well. BTW, this also screwed up Windows Genuine Validation.

- just posting this here in case anyone else ends up here after having this problem.