Endpoint Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

• 1.  PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

Posted Sep 02, 2011 07:52 AM

Hi, smiley

Since I have installed version 10.2 over 10.1, this is the message I get in the event viewer

''PGP wininit event id 11 Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application. The system administrator should review the list of libraries to ensure they are related to trusted applications.'' frown

When I try to open files from the encypted drive they take 3 to 5 seconds to load and after a while they open normally.

From what I have seen on the net, event id 11 are often related to anti virus issues or virusus themselves but I doubt that this is the issue here

here is the XML tag:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    - <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Wininit" Guid="{206F6DEA-D3C5-4D10-BC72-989F03C8B84B}" />
    <EventID>11</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-09-02T10:26:01.096066000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>17312</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="1288" ThreadID="1320" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>harley</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    - <EventData>
    <Data Name="StringCount">1</Data>
    <Data Name="String">PGPmapih.dll</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Does Symantec know about the issue and is there a fix?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

Posted Sep 02, 2011 08:48 AM

I'm not seeing anything specific to PGP regarding this error, but would suggest you again review the PGP 10.2 Release Notes for any known conflict your system may have.  The following are some links I found with Google searching that might possibly be related to your situation:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/custom-dynamic-link-libraries-are-being-loaded-for/80497a24-1b98-4705-93cc-32d67b5947d1?page=3

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/wptk_v4/thread/515e819c-0e7a-4142-8a01-c42d9741c443

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic344628.html

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=723895

• 3.  RE: PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

Posted Sep 02, 2011 05:51 PM

Hello Tom,

This issue is an incompatible dll that comes from PGP 10.2.

Incompatible DLLs

Some programs (e.g. snapshot utilities) install DLL files which are automatically loaded when a program is started. Incompatible DLLs can prevent, abort or cause problems with the start of a program. To verify whether such DLLs exist, check the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Windows

or, for 32Bit PGP on 64Bit Windows,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion > Windows

in the registry. If the variable AppInit_DLLs is followed by an entry in this case (PGPmapih.dll), this DLL will be loaded at each program start. This can be prevented by either deleting the value of the variable (only the value, not the variable!), or setting the value of the variable LoadAppInit_DLLs to 0.

Here is a snapshot

This happened after the upgrade of PGG 10.2. I hae reproed this 4 times.

Issue is gone once steps are followed as explained above.

• 4.  RE: PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

Posted Sep 02, 2011 10:11 PM

Wow- thanks!  Another option may be to use the info in this Knowledge Base Article to install PGP without enabling the MAPI component.

• 5.  RE: PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

Posted Sep 02, 2011 10:46 PM

Tom,

That would be an option but it just hides an issue that needs to be adressed.

The dll needs to be fixed. Besides this issue slows reaction time to libraries.

PGPmapih.dll  needs to be fixed  need   

• 6.  RE: PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

Posted Nov 06, 2011 10:56 AM
    Is there a newer version out that fixes this issue? I also noticed that PGPmapih.dll will create issues with carbonite. Carbonaite is an online backup utility. System hangs becausePGPmapih.dll loads with Carbonite. I had to go back to older versions :(

• 7.  RE: PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

Posted Nov 06, 2011 11:27 AM

I'll look for any new info on this tomorrow when I'm on my Symantec machine.  I thought you might be interested in the following that I just found in the old forum:

This is the response that I received from Carbonite:

Hello Irene

I have looked into your issue with PGP10 and it does not appear that it is one we will be able to fix for you. My assumption in the research that I have done is the PGP10 must use VSS which Carbonite uses to make a copy of the file and back it up. If PGP10 uses VSS and does not allow Carbonite permission to backup the data, and could tie up system resources causing the system to lock as it continually tries to get permissions to use VSS. Mozy uses this same process to backup the files. It appears PGP must have changed that way it runs its encryption or allows permission of those files to other program trying to access them. It appears we may need to refund this subscription as it is clearly a conflict with another software we have no control over on your machine.

• 8.  RE: PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

Posted Nov 06, 2011 09:12 PM
    Nice find Tom. I already had come to this conclusion with the Carbonite team. So from this response, Carbonite would rather refund than try to find a workaround. Humm, pretty interesting. OK, I'll chalenge Carbonite on this, but I would appreciate a heads up on the issue with Wininit. It still causes issues with my machine. Thanks.

• 9.  RE: PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

Posted Nov 07, 2011 10:04 AM

I'm not finding anything relevant to Wininit for you.

• 10.  RE: PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

Posted Jan 01, 2012 12:54 AM
    I had to go back to 10.1.2 Wininit still not fixed in this Mp3 version. Got rid of Carbonite but Excel files slow to satrt with 10.2 Mp3. Please advise when Wininit fix is found. Thanks.

• 11.  RE: PGP wininit event id 11 error Windows 7 X64

Posted Jan 22, 2012 10:13 AM

Anybody know if a fix for the Wininit issue has been found past MP3 update of PGP?

Sad I have to use an older version frown

Thanks.