IT Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Notifying user about Software install with customised message after compliance check and before install

Posted Nov 19, 2021 12:31 PM

I've had this come up in a number of customer situations over the years and again just recently....

I want to inform the user via some form message about the software that is about to be installed and to give information on what they should/should not do etc. i.e. I want to display a customised  message for each software install policy as the software is about to install. I can enable the notify and postpone dialogues but these are fixed and cannot contain any custom messages. I can add a custom message in the dialogue for reboot (if enabled), but can only notify a user the install is completed if reboot is enabled.

But I can't find a way of displaying a message after the compliance check has determined software needs installing and before the software install executing. I've tried putting tasks in prior to the install, and after the install (for post install message). I've tried putting tasks in as dependent (prior to install) and update (post install) tasks which I'd have expected only to run if the main compliancy check determines the software needs installing, but these tasks run regardless of the  main compliancy status. and every time the policy is run (i.e. 'check compliance schedule')

I am sure this is nothing new and maybe I am missing something. Anyone got any thoughts anyone?

• 2.  RE: Notifying user about Software install with customised message after compliance check and before install

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 20, 2021 06:42 AM
    Hello!

Unfortunately you are correct - there is no "native" possibility to customize pre-install notifications.
    I agree we should put this request into the "todo" list.

>  these tasks run regardless of the  main compliancy status
    Correct. Tasks hIstorically do not have any prerequisite rules and always run during the execution phase.

I can suggest 2 workarounds:
    1) Reorganize installation commandline into a script that would first display a message and then run the software installation
    2) Use an applicability rule for the component being installed . The check should be will be script task based  (available since 8.5 RU3 if I am not mistaken). You may place notification logics into a task and setup the rule so that it would always return true (applicable) Applicability rule is run once in the installation cycle in the compliance check phase BEFORE the download. The drawback is that since it is before download it is not exactly before the installation.

Below is the screenshot where one may start editing the task based inventory rule.

Regards,
    Artur

------------------------------
    Software Engineer 5
    Broadcom Inc.

• 3.  RE: Notifying user about Software install with customised message after compliance check and before install

Posted Nov 21, 2021 09:13 AM

Hi Artur. As I thought. I'd not thought about the applicability work around. I have tested it - and it's available from RU4 not RU3 (which is what this customer has!) 

I will need to create a script that does the equivalent of compliancy check and then pops up a message, but it's not a perfect solution.

While we would usually try to do software install without the user knowing there are occasions where we need to interact with users as they may be using the software or may be involved in the process and we need to keep them informed of what is going on and what they should expect and need to do. Good communication is essential in these situations - so being able to add a customized message prior to starting the install, keeping them informed the install is in progress and letting them know it is finished is kinda important.

Additionally when installing software one often needs to do a series of tasks or a job (as well as installing dependent software) prior to the install and do a series of tasks or a job post install (as well as install updates etc.) In the past a repackaging process would have been employed but these days this is less the case. It would be good if the pre and post action sections of the software package install in an install policy would enable jobs/tasks to be run, only if the compliance check has determined the software needs installing. 

Incidentally if you allow the user to postpone the dialogue can be closed by the user using the x and the install process seems to then stop. Not sure that should be allowed!

• 4.  RE: Notifying user about Software install with customised message after compliance check and before install

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2021 01:54 AM
    Hello!

>  I will need to create a script that does the equivalent of compliancy check and then pops up a message,

As for applicability check - it is run IFF compliance check detects software is NOT installed. Thus you will not need to include detection checks in the script. Only the code handling the pop - up. 

As for extending the logics of the installation commandlines: in my practice I saw customers implemented VERY complicated installation batch commandlines handling the pop-ups (non-closable) with countdowns, user inputs, etc. Of course it would require a lot of custom individual work and time for tuning the exit codes and user interaction ....

If the pre-post tasks you were talking about are supposed to be script tasks, then technically there is no problem to add the code of these tasks into a single installation commanline batch.

Despite the suggestions above I totally agree that the features you mentioned (notification customization + conditional pre-post tasks execution) should be added into the product.

Regards
    Artur

Software Engineer 5
    Broadcom Inc.

• 5.  RE: Notifying user about Software install with customised message after compliance check and before install

Posted Nov 22, 2021 10:07 AM

Hi,

Understand re not needing compliancy test in script if using an applicability test, but the customer is on 8.5 RU3 and the script option is not available in applicability tests in this version.  So now on a slightly different plan.

As for scripting installs. Yes I have customers who have done this and done some clever stuff. One has even created a whole install wrapper program to allow them to do pre and post install tasks like this easily, which they deliver via EPM. I've experienced similar capabilities in competitive products to EPM. 

It would just be nice to be able to to better combine jobs and tasks with software delivery to help simplify and install process and minimise the amount of scripting required. 

Anyway have way forward and that is what counts. 

• 6.  RE: Notifying user about Software install with customised message after compliance check and before install

Posted Nov 21, 2021 09:17 AM
    P.S. to previous message. If you want to enable the user to postpone the install then you cannot put the pop up message in the install script. The postpone dialogue comes prior to the install (and therefore pop up) which is the wrong way round. Hence the need to create a script that does the equivalent of a compliance check.

• 7.  RE: Notifying user about Software install with customised message after compliance check and before install

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 22, 2021 03:06 AM
    Just FYI in case you find a way to insert a task into your sequence - There is "End User Notification Task" that can be used to display customized messages including HTTP pages.