Messaging Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Certificate expired soon

Posted Jul 16, 2020 11:55 AM
    Good morning i have a messaging gateway with self signed certificate for renew this certificate is necessary restart the messaging gateway,  I also wanted to know if, when renewing the certificate in the control center, should the same certificate be added in the scanners or is it automatic?

Thanks for your help

• 2.  RE: Certificate expired soon

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2020 12:29 PM
    Renewing the certificate itself on the Messaging Gateway is a process done on the control center. Once you have the certificate updated you would want to select each scanner and update the configuration to use the new certificate.

------------------------------
    Strategic Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Certificate expired soon

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2020 12:52 PM
    The general answer is "no", it won't be "automatically" distributed to the scanners.

You know best, but it "sounds" like you are referring to the "server" certificate that is used in the BCC.  If this is the case, you wouldn't want that to be deployed on the scanners:  it's use is really for browsers  to have confidence that they are "really" talking to the BCC and not some spoofed endpoint.

The certificate that gets pushed out to the scanners is the one that you specify for use in SMTP TLS conversations, since THAT is the certificate presented during the TLS handshake phase when someone tries to send email into the SMG using SMTP TLS.

• 4.  RE: Certificate expired soon

Posted Jul 16, 2020 12:57 PM
    the certificate soon to expired is this 

• 5.  RE: Certificate expired soon

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 16, 2020 02:10 PM
    That page would display both TLS (SMTP) certificates and HTTPS certificates so we can't tell for sure from that screenshot.

As tpa pointed out, if the certificate is an https certificate for secure communication with the control center, then it would only be needed to be configured for the control center. You can do that in (Administration > Control Center > Certificates)

My suggestion was for a TLS certificate for SMTP transactions on the scanners. You can configure that (Administration > Configuration > Select a scanner > Edit > SMTP) on the Inbound, Outbound and Authentication tabs.

Strategic Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 6.  RE: Certificate expired soon

Posted Jul 16, 2020 02:17 PM
    Never use the demo cert. always use a third party cert for scanner and control center. Since I do it the right way, which is separate the scanner and control center roles, I have 2 cents. Works perfect for like 7 years. Woohoo.