Altiris Software Dev Kit (ASDK)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How to Download ASDK

• 1.  How to Download ASDK

Posted Aug 26, 2016 04:33 PM

This seems like such a silly thing to have to ask, but I've been looking for the installer for the ASDK for an hour, searching Symantec's site and the forums.

Can someone please point me to a download of the ASDK download? I'd like to install on Windows 10 for Symantec Management Platform 7.6. Thank you!

• 2.  RE: How to Download ASDK

Broadcom Partner
    Posted Aug 27, 2016 05:37 AM

Hi Josh.smith

It seems that you are looking for the ADK (Automated Deployment Kit) to use with Deployment Solution 7.6 right?
    To install the ADK open the SMP Console and go to Settings -> Deployment -> create pre-boot configuration

There you should be able to download and install the ADK (see Sceenshot)
    DS7_6_ADK.png

As far is I know the ASDK is already installed on your SMP Server - but that´s a completely different thing...
    There is no need to install the ASDK when you want to install Windows 10...
    ASDK stands for Altiris Software Development Kit.

There is only a ASDK for Ghost Solution Suite 3.1 that can be downloaded here.

Network23

• 3.  RE: How to Download ASDK
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 27, 2016 07:32 AM

The ASDK should be in the <drive>:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris ASDK and already installed on your NS as you're on 7.6. This directory includes the files you need to install on other machines you want to use the ASDK components on.

• 4.  RE: How to Download ASDK

Posted Aug 29, 2016 04:19 PM

Thank you both, I was looking to install the ASDK components on a W10 client in order to try https://github.com/Tiberriver256/PoshAltiris

• 5.  RE: How to Download ASDK

Posted Aug 30, 2016 09:20 PM

Hey Josh,

Glad to hear someone else is giving the PowerShell module a go. The module takes advantage of the web services exposed and installed by your NS server which means you can install and run the scripts from any machine without needing to install any components on other computers.

Let me know if you have any questions and if you find any bugs definitely submit an issue on GitHub.

**Edit** -- Added installation instructions here for reference. You shouldn't need to do anything other than this to get started.

Installation

1. Download the module from the Github repository
    2. Install the module according to PowerShell module installation instructions

• 6.  RE: How to Download ASDK

Posted Sep 01, 2016 09:46 AM
    Thanks tiberriver256! I figured this out the hard way before I saw your reply....I had installed the module and was getting a response, but thought I was missing components because the response didn't appear to have the info I was looking for. It turns out I just had to figure out how to read the result (the forum kept giving me errors when trying to use the code snippet, sorry for the plain text): ______________ Get-ResourceByName -name "mycomputername" -resourceType "Computer" -Server $server xml guid --- ---- version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" guid ______________ That was the result that made me think I was doing it wrong, then I finally figured out I just wasn't reading the XML: ______________ $result=Get-ResourceByName -name "mycomputername" -resourceType "Computer" -Server $server echo $result.guid.'#text' XXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX #Real GUID result was here, redacted ______________ Now that I have some grasp of how to use the tool I am excited about the possibilities of scripting some of the manual tasks I do. Thanks for creating this! Here is my first very simple crack at something useful to me, hopefully others can benefit: ______________ #get package details from known GUID and store in a variable [xml]$packageResult=Get-SWDProgramsFromPackage -sPackageGuid $mypackage -Server $server #loop through the command lines for the package and print the GUIDs of any that have a name that ends in the word install foreach ($bename in $packageResult.ArrayOfSWDSolnProgramDetails.SWDSolnProgramDetails) { if($bename.Name -ilike "*Install"){ echo $bename.GUID } } ______________

• 7.  RE: How to Download ASDK

Posted Sep 09, 2016 02:56 PM

The forum isn't allowing me to create a new post...tried from 3 browsers and 2 OSes...so I'm going to try hi-jacking my previous post:

I'm hoping for some help understanding ADSK Web Services, specifically how specify package servers that a package is assigned to.

I have it mostly working, but can't seem to get the API to let me add a package server without specifying a "Package Destination Location on Package Servers" (which I've learned is aka sPackageServerLocation in the XML). In the GUI you can leave that field blank to take the default (specific to each package server?), but I can't post from the ADSK without specifying a value, and haven't determined how to specify a blank/null/default value.

I'm trying PoshAltiris but this isn't an issue with the PowerShell Module as I can recreate it by using Invoke-RestMethod or even using the web interface and entering values there. I think Web Services represents that blank "default" value for sPackageServerLocation in the XML as <PackageDirectory/>, with no associated value. I just can't get my request to mimic that. I've tried specifying the sPackageServerLocation value in the request as 0, null, false, False, "", "0", default, $false (really grasping at straws!).

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks

The forum will not let me save a screenshot or code snipit, so code below:

#PowerShell using PoshAltiris Module
    Set-SWPackageServerSettings -PackageGuid $mypackage -AssignmentType 1 -AutomaticSiteAssignment false -PackageServers $packageServer -PackageServerLocation "???" -Server $server

#vanilla PowerShell
    $Body = @{
    sPackageGuid = $mypackage
    bAllOrSpecificPackageServers = $false
    sPackageServerGuids = $packageServer
    #sPackageServerLocation = "???"
    }

$WebServiceUrl = "altiris/ASDK.NS.SoftwareDelivery/SWDSolnPackageManagementService.asmx/SetPackageExPackageServerOptions"

Invoke-RestMethod -Uri "https://$server/$WebServiceUrl" -Method Post -Body $Body -UseDefaultCredentials

• 8.  RE: How to Download ASDK

Posted Sep 10, 2016 12:44 AM

Ah, good catch. That's a bug in PoshAltiris. If you could raise an issue for that on the Github site I would appreciate it, otherwise I will get to it tomorrow.

I have the cmdlets in the module set to not allow $Null values. Vanilla PS like this works (I just tested to verify):

$Body = @{

PackageGuid = $PackageGuid
     			AssignmentType = $AssignmentType
     			AutomaticSiteAssignment = $AutomaticSiteAssignment
     			PackageServers = $Null
     			PackageServerLocation = $Null

}

$WebServiceUrl = "altiris/ASDK.SMF/SoftwarePackageManagementService.asmx/SetPackageServerSettings"

Invoke-RestMethod -Uri "https://$server/$WebServiceUrl" -Method Post -Body $Body -UseDefaultCredentials

• 9.  RE: How to Download ASDK

Posted Sep 12, 2016 09:03 AM

Thanks Tiberriver that vanilla PS is working for me. That must be the one way I didn't try to express $Null....thanks for clearing that up for me. I created the Issue on github with the details.

• 10.  RE: How to Download ASDK

Posted Sep 12, 2016 06:04 PM

Awesome, I'll see what I can do to get that fixed up. Thanks for using it! More people using = more bugs found / fixed = smoother experience.

• 11.  RE: How to Download ASDK

Posted Sep 19, 2016 10:51 AM

I would like to test this functionality.

I have dropped the source into the directory for all users:

C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\PoshAltiris

Is there anything else i need to do?

Thank you

• 12.  RE: How to Download ASDK

Posted Sep 20, 2016 06:28 AM

There's an article explaining how to use it:

Start an Altiris Task from PowerShell using PoshAltiris
    https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/start-altiris-task-powershell-using-poshaltiris

• 13.  RE: How to Download ASDK

Posted Sep 20, 2016 09:27 AM

Thanks @AlexHedley!

Also, this is a good guide to getting started:

https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/altiris-asdk-powershell-module

You should be all set though, just run Import-Module PoshAltiris and then Get-Command -Module PoshAltiris to list all available commands in the module.