Altiris Software Dev Kit (ASDK)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Migration User

Migration UserFeb 09, 2015 03:10 PM

Migration User

Migration UserFeb 06, 2016 12:56 PM

• 1.  The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Dec 07, 2014 10:27 AM

The main idea behind this tool is to have everything on 1 interface. From agent troubleshooting, to pushing jobs, to getting workstation info from the database, etc, it's all infront of the user/admin/technician. 

Please contact us to receive a preview of the software, and ask for a customized tool to help you manage your Altiris environment better, and more efficient:

http://www.ricksoftwareservices.com/software/

**Update 4/3/2015: Added 7.6 functionality, including reading agent health check from the database, along with performing other health checks. 

**Update 1/28/2016: Attached is a generic version of USAT. Feel free to download and test in your lab. 

Instructions: 

Download the attached zip file and extract the executable (USAT-Demo.exe). Then, execute it using credentials that are set up to connect to both the Notification Server and the SQL server (note: remote connections have to be enabled on the SQL server). Launching the executable using the Altiris system account has proved to be the best way. 

Note: Some features have been disabled for demonstration purposes. 

Disclaimer: Although Symantec is aware of USAT and encourages the devopment of such tools, they do not, by any means, support the tool. Please download and use in a lab, as this is an unsupported version. Please comment any questions/issues you may experience. 

1.PNG

• 2.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Dec 10, 2014 09:29 AM

This was flagged for spam apparantly, but it should be fixed by now. Thanks all!

• 3.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Dec 10, 2014 10:38 AM

Hopefully this will not get flagged, but SCCM has a tool that I have been meaning to port some of the functionality over to an Altiris tool.

http://blog.coretech.dk/kaj/sccm-client-actions-tool-powershell-edition-aka-poshcat/

This is the latest version, PowerShell, of SCCMCAT

https://sccmcat.codeplex.com/

Im sure you can pull a lot of great ideas from this.

• 4.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Dec 10, 2014 11:28 AM
    Awesome. Thanks for that! I am looking to see the potential for distributing a tool like this before I keep dedicating my efforts to it. Will this be useful to some companies? I know it saves us a lot of time!

• 5.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Dec 10, 2014 11:36 AM

It will be useful, especially for those that are not in a 100% administrator role. For example, a Service Desk or Help Desk. That is not to say an admin would not get a lot of use out of it either. I know I use the RAAD tool a lot.

• 6.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Dec 10, 2014 11:48 AM

Right, we use RAAD as well, and many things in my tool are done in RAAD too. However, the idea for the tool would be to encompass the most commonly used functions of RAAD, along with the console jobs and other general agent/PC troubleshooting functionality. The point is that it would be a one-stop shop for Altiris users/techs/admins (maybe I can have an admin mode that deals with server/sql health).

For instance, we always get tickets and complaints about technicians executing jobs, and the jobs are in "running" status until they timeout and fail or potentially succeed. Usually this is due to an offline machine, yet the console still lets you execute the job if the machine is not ping-able. For such reasons, this tool requires you to ping the machine (successfully) before the other buttons get enabled. So the process becomes ping machine (currently done in cmd), choose job from console (currently done in console), execute job and get detailed logs, and troubleshoot any issues (currently done in RAAD). 

This eliminates all the different interfaces, and makes everything a lot simple. No more copy pasting from console to RAAD to cmd to explorer, and no more starring at the "running" job status and wondering what's actually going on, while the machine is possibly offline or has a bad agent, and no more silverlight/java drama. Many advantages to this, and I am still looking at the legal terms as far as potentially distributing/prototypingsuch a tool. I know that the asdk has some rules for that, but they are not very clear to me. I have to identify the need for such a tool as a first step, and thought I would start on the forums. 

Thank you! 

• 7.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Jan 28, 2015 04:59 AM

Thank you for this information, i'll try it as soon as possible !

• 8.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Jan 28, 2015 09:10 AM

All, I have received a few PM's about interest regarding this tool. For the time being, it is not available to be shared as it is currently being reviewed. Once that changes, I will update this post and include the binary for anyone to evaluate the tool. 

Thank you all for your interest!

• 9.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 10:05 AM

This would be an awesome tool for a helpdesk. I know my helpdesk and Desktop team would really like this as it is quick and easy for them to use.

Jen

• 10.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 10:15 AM

Jen, thank you for the comment. The main idea behind this is to make helpdesk/desktop teams' jobs much easier, more reliable, and process oriented. At this time, there is more development occuring to add administrative functionality as well, which will help administrators with their health checks/daily tasks. 

Please expect an update on this tool in the next few weeks. 

Thank you!

• 11.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Jan 29, 2015 03:26 PM

Richietheprogrammer,

I would love to be able to test this when you are done. I'm trying to keep Symantec (altiris) in the envirnment and this would help sell it.

Thanks
    Jen

• 12.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Feb 09, 2015 03:10 PM

Updated tool and screenshots. See original post.

• 13.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Feb 16, 2015 02:02 PM

Working on an Android (mobile) version (see attachment), please let me know any ideas/opnions. Thanks all! Stay tuned!

• 14.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Apr 17, 2015 10:38 AM

The tool has been finalized. For a preview and further discussions, please visit the following URL and contact us.

• 15.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted May 15, 2015 09:20 AM
    How can we obtain this tool now that its been finalised?

• 16.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted May 15, 2015 09:26 AM

As stated in the original post, please visit the following URL and contact us. We will work with you to provide you with a customized version that suits your needs :

Thank you! 

• 17.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted May 16, 2015 08:38 AM

I tink that we were all hoping that you would post the generic version of the tool on this site.  :-)

• 18.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Aug 18, 2015 04:55 PM

Since you are trying to sell services, that is the definition of spam.

• 19.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Jan 28, 2016 07:02 PM

A generic version has been included in the original post. Thank you! 

• 20.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Jan 28, 2016 07:02 PM

Thank you for your concern. Symantec has agreed to have USAT posted on the forums, and the company is very aware of the product. They have encouraged releasing a demo version. 

• 21.  RE: The ultimate Altiris tool - Now 7.6 compatible!

Posted Feb 06, 2016 12:56 PM

that was very good to work