Workflow and ServiceDesk Community

View Only
  • 1.  SD.Resetpassword - Generate Random Password Alphanumeric Complex

Posted Sep 06, 2017 04:36 AM

Hi,

Im trying to get the Self Sevice password reset workflow set up but our security requires that ensure that the Random Generated password meets our current complexity.

I have found the UpdatePassowrd component but cannot get it to generate a password correctly. Im trying to use a new dynamic model which contains the "Generate Random String" component but am not sure about the output variables. Whenever i test it, it creates a ticket but states that it was not able to update teh password.

I have successfully managed ot get it working with a constant varaible but that is not acceptable in our environment. If i use teh Generate Random String how should i set it up and what output names should i use?

Any help woudl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: SD.Resetpassword - Generate Random Password Alphanumeric Complex

Posted Sep 06, 2017 09:20 AM

There is a documentation page, or you can right click on the component then click "Help".

random_string.png

Generate random string
    https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/generate-random-string
    https://www.symantec.com/connect/content-external/workflow-id_LogicBase.Components.Default.Process.RandomString/workflow

Ran an example and got "'6CP0" with a "String Length" of "5" and an "Output Variable Name" of "Password".

Drag the "Password" variable onto a Web Form to display or add it to the Log component for testing. Whatever name you give here can be used within your Workflow.

If you want a more complex password you could generate one using a Code Script Component.

• 3.  RE: SD.Resetpassword - Generate Random Password Alphanumeric Complex

Posted Sep 14, 2017 03:38 AM

Hi Alex,

Thanks for coming back to me. I did the log and caught the output - unfortunately, the random string generation does not always use alphanumeric and so fails when setting passwords sometimes. Can i force it to include a number or perhaps put in a loop so that it will continue to set until it finds one that works?

Also - the email that is being sent is not including the password - it just says "not found". I think its probably to do the the mapping but have not been able to work out what - any thoughts?

Thanks.

Andrew

• 4.  RE: SD.Resetpassword - Generate Random Password Alphanumeric Complex

Posted Sep 14, 2017 07:02 AM

If you want more control I'd use a Code Script component.

System.Web.Security.Membership.GeneratePassword(int length, int numberOfNonAlphanumericCharacters)

There is a Merge Text Component where you can join strings together.

Depending on the model type you sometimes need to map values out at the end, if you log the password at each step and see when it first becomes blank you can then track down when it's being cleared.

• 5.  RE: SD.Resetpassword - Generate Random Password Alphanumeric Complex

Posted Sep 14, 2017 07:05 AM

You could also try the 'Password String Generator'

Inputs

• Number Of Characters
    • Strong Password
    https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/Password-String-Generator
    LogicBase.Components.ActiveDirectory.PasswordStringGenerator