Symantec Management Platform (SMP) Community

View Only
  • 1.  Reset endpoint GUID

Posted Dec 23, 2020 10:14 AM

Hi everyone,

Sometimes I have to clone some of our servers here in our environment and because of that the clone machine keeps the same GUID from the original machine. I would like to reset the GUID of the clone machine, how can I do that?

I tried the both script but it did not work. I also tried the /resetguid option but still did not change it.  Any idea? I would like to avoid the reinstalling the agent option. 

<CODE>

Dim aexClient
    Set aexClient = CreateObject("altiris.aexnsclient")
    aexClient.ClearMachineGuid
    WScript.Sleep 5000
    aexClient.SendBasicInventory True, True
    Set aexClient = Nothing

<CODE>

<CODE>

'vbscript Change GUID then force client to update configuratin and send basic inventory
    Dim WshShell
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell" )
    Dim TypeLib, sNewGuid
    Set TypeLib = CreateObject("Scriptlet.TypeLib" )
    sNewGUID = TypeLib.Guid
    Set TypeLib = Nothing
    sNewGuid = left(sNewGUID, len(sNewGUID)-2)
    ' wscript.echo " # Guid Generated " + sNewGuid
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\Software\Altiris\Altiris Agent\MachineGuid" ,sNewGuid, "REG_SZ"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Altiris\Client Service\NSMachineGuid" ,sNewGuid, "REG_SZ"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Altiris\eXpress\MachineGuid" ,sNewGuid, "REG_SZ"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Altiris\eXpress\NS Client\MachineGuid" ,sNewGuid, "REG_SZ"
    WshShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Computing Edge\Notification Server\MachineGuid" ,sNewGuid, "REG_SZ"

Dim client
    Set client=WScript.CreateObject ("Altiris.AeXNSClient" )
    ignoreBlockouts=1
    sendIfUnchanged = 1
    client.SendBasicInventory sendIfUnchanged, ignoreBlockouts
    client.UpdatePolicies ignoreBlockouts

</CODE>

• 2.  RE: Reset endpoint GUID

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 08, 2021 05:03 AM
    The first VB script or aexagentutil /resetguid should work just fine.

The second script is bad, you cannot assign any GUID to the client. The GUID is always generated by the server.
    /resetguid command forces agent to request the GUID from the server. The server can send either the new GUID or keep the old one.
    The GUID is selected based on the resource keys client sends to the server, if two clients use the same resource keys then they are essentially the same and the single machine for the server and they both receive the same GUID.

You need to check the resource keys these clients are using, look for smatool.exe on NS server in BIN folder and run the following command on your clients
    smatool /agent dump resourcekeys
    then look for the identical keys.
    Simply copy smatool.exe to the client, it does not need anything else to run.

Please also check if "DSUniqueID" registry value is presented under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Altiris\Altiris Agent.
    Remove this registry value if it is there, it can be left there after cloning in case you use Deployment Solution for that purpose.

regards,
    sergei