ProxySG & Advanced Secure Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Web Isolation sizing resource hardware

Posted Jul 23, 2020 12:54 AM
    Hi all,
            I have a question about sizing the Symantec Web Isolation machines. I propose the Symantec Web Isolation machines integrate with the Proxy ASG S400-30 for our customer. The license of Symantec Web Isolation is Selective Web Isolation. I found the Symantec Web Isolation sizing guide and following from example as below:

Web Isolation sizing:
    Total users: 5,000
    Daily Users: 75% of 5,000 is 3,750
    Total Isolated Tabs: 66% of the number of Daily Users, is 2,475
    Active Isolated Tab: 5% of the Daily Users, is 187.5

TIE Server
    The Web Isolation Server requires the following:
    Cores: (Active Isolated Tab) / 2.5 = 187.5 / 2.5 = 75 cores.
    Memory: (Total Isolated Tab) * 200MB = 495,000MB = ~500GB.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Proxy Server
    The Web Isolation Proxy Server requires the following:
    Cores: (Daily Users) / 850 = 3,750 / 850 = 4.4 or ~5 cores.
    Memory: (Total Isolated Tabs) * 8.3MB =~ 20GB.
    Management and Reporting Server
    The Management and Reporting Server requires the following:
    Cores: (Total Users) / 1250 = 5,000 / 1250 = 4 cores.
    Storage: (Total Users) * 200MB = 5,000 * 200MB = ~1000GB.

I compare the sizing hardware requirement  between minimum requirement of Full Web Isolation and Selective Web Isolation from my calculate as above, both values are similar.

Anyone can recommended or suggestion about sizing of the Symantec Web Isolation machines for selective deployment and number users are 5,000 

Best regards,
    Pongsatorn Laohavijitchan

• 2.  RE: Web Isolation sizing resource hardware
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 23, 2020 12:40 PM
    Hi Pongsatorn,

This would be a better question for the Web Isolation Community, and so I would recommend posting Web Isolation questions there in the future. From a ProxySG standpoint, Selective Web Isolation is strictly for sending sites that are uncategorized in the Blue Coat database, or sites that have a threat risk level of 5 or higher to be isolated. This is typically no more than 3-5% of overall web browsing traffic, and that is why you see the amount of cores and RAM is much lower under the Selective Web Isolation section than for the Full Web Isolation section. 

As far as sizing goes, I would reach out to your Sales team/ Partner resource for more clarification and the latest guidance on sizing, as that can change as the dynamics of the internet change.

Thanks!