IT Management Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Benefits of the Software Library over a directory on NS Server source

• 1.  Benefits of the Software Library over a directory on NS Server source

Posted Nov 18, 2020 08:31 AM
    Hi all,

I'm building a new ITMS 8.5 solution, in our old 7.6 we used a directory on the NS server to store our packages, but I'm wondering what benefits we would have if we used the Software Library instead, or if we could use a mixture of both?

As I see it, we'll not be able to make use of the rapid deploy technology as this uses the Software Library, is there something else that I'm missing? 

Thanks,
    D

------------------------------
    FR

• 2.  RE: Benefits of the Software Library over a directory on NS Server source

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 19, 2020 02:34 AM
    Hello!

Software Library is a "generic UNC location", which is intended to be located NOT on NS machine.
    I assume by "we used a directory on the NS server"  you meant "local" package types.  Because Software Library MAY be be located on NS as well. 

Putting the disk storage concerns out of scope I see the following benefits of NOT using local drive on NS machine for package storage:

1) For each "local" package type IIS creates  a SEPARATE virtual directory  (patch solution is an exception because it manages packages in a well defined structure) . When number of virtual directories become greater than of couple of thousands IIS starts performing badly when these virtual directories are accessed.
    Even windows explorer starts  performing badly and a simple files moving or deletion ops take more than a minute - that was a problem in Windows 2008 R2, not sure if it is still applicable to the latest server OSes, but the IIS VDs count is a constant concern.

2)  When a package is downloaded from NS by PS or an agent the files of a package are being read by IIS from NS local disks, which I believe impacts the overall NS machine's I/O performance. 

3) When one imports a package into the software catalog for Local Packages:
    * it is IMPOSSIBLE  to import anything without specifying the exact location on NS machine 
    * package contents CANNOT  be modified by the means of NS Console UI.

So if one accesses console NOT from NS machine one would need to access NS machine and adjust package definition each time (if contents change is  required).

For Software Library package types:
    * it is POSSIBLE to import  package contents without a need to know anything about NS machine directories topology 
    * package contents CAN  be modified by the means of NS Console UI.

2 screenshots below show the differences

Local Package

Software Library

Mixture of SW Library and Local package types usage is absolutely alright.

Regards
    Artur

Software Engineer 5
    Broadcom Inc.