Client Management Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Deploying Office 365

• 1.  Deploying Office 365

Posted Nov 27, 2019 07:28 AM

Hello,

I woul like to ask you what is the best way to deploy Office 365. I have created the XML file from Microsoft configuration tool, but as far as I understand it can be used for local installation by script. But we want to use ITSM as a deployment also for an office. So it means we have to create a script somwhere?

Thank you for your hints.

Lukas

• 2.  RE: Deploying Office 365

Posted Nov 28, 2019 05:08 AM

Deploying Microsoft Office 365 updates with Patch Management Solution
    DOC9673
    https://support.symantec.com/us/en/article.doc9673.html

• 3.  RE: Deploying Office 365

Posted Nov 30, 2019 05:45 AM

Just create it as a regular Software Release, install command line:

setup.exe /configure configuration.xml

Detection rule HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration VersionToReport >= 16.0.....

• 4.  RE: Deploying Office 365

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 03, 2019 07:16 AM

I know this post was more about initial install, but I just wanted to share my experience with keeping it current.  I am a happy Symantec Patch Management customer & use it for many titles, but I find letting Microsoft patch office 2019 (which is same as 365 essentially) is very smooth and I'd encourage people to try both to see what works best for their environment.  Office titles only patch when closed, and I think the built in microsoft schedule is better at handling that (patching attempt at login).  

• 5.  RE: Deploying Office 365

Posted Dec 07, 2019 06:16 AM

Hi there Sally, as far as I know when patching Office 365, the installation would require a reboot in order to complete when the user is active (working), no applications will be closed or anything. Once the device reboots, the installation would complete due to files in use and such.

• 6.  RE: Deploying Office 365

Posted Dec 16, 2019 04:48 AM

Hello, as far as I know the SYMC Altiris does not support O365 patches, as it is described here in this KB https://support.symantec.com/in/en/article.info3521.html

do you have already any experiences with it? We have setup the XML with the local server folder for updatePaths, but we do not know exactly how else to proceed...

any idea would be helpful.

thank you.

Lukas

• 7.  RE: Deploying Office 365

Posted Dec 16, 2019 10:01 AM

Hello Sally,

is it possible to discuss it with you in more details? We have quite hard times with O365 patchmanagement with Altiris :(

• 8.  RE: Deploying Office 365

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 16, 2019 10:07 AM

Lukas,

I went with just enabling cloud to patch office and haven't been disappointed.  I use altiris to check on the patch level, and so far no regrets.  

Sorry.

• 9.  RE: Deploying Office 365

Posted Dec 16, 2019 02:53 PM

aha, ok. 

I am trying to set it up take patches from local source...

• 10.  RE: Deploying Office 365

Posted Jan 06, 2020 03:46 AM

You can with PM, but couple of things:

- You need to approve them according the channel installed

- You need to make sure you have the languages as installed on clients

- Proofing Tools are currently not supported as far as I know, only full LAP's (or language ID installed)

Otherwise installation will fail. It will require a reboot to complete, as it doesn't close applications or anything, so file renaming etc. is done after a reboot.

As for installing Office 365, you can either have an XML pulling the sources from the internet or download the sources first using the ODT, then create a package to install accordingly as a software release.

• 11.  RE: Deploying Office 365

Posted Jan 21, 2020 09:44 AM

Well, I must ask again for SW package creation details for Office 365.

When installing it manually, I have copied files to C:\INSTALL\O365 and updated CONFIGURATION.XML accordingly:

SourcePath="C:\INSTALL\O365"

Installation then completed smoothly. 

When creating SW Package in SMP Console, what shall I specify in SourcePath option?

Local CACHE will be under Software Delivery folder, but GUID of package is not known ahead of time.

C:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\Agents\SoftwareManagement\Software Delivery\<GUID> 

What is recommended process to create SW Product in SW Catalog, that would be deliverable accross all underlying SMP servers and clients? 

Thanks for advices.