Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  NSE Failed events: The target item for the client message does not exist

Posted Apr 30, 2020 06:28 AM

Hi everyone!

Over the past few weeks my 8.5 RU3 server log has been getting a lot of errors similar to the one below:

NSE dispatch failed for: id=4159715, from: 0523e7f7-dc8d-4e9a-be67-e0f24ef79b57, to: 7d56dbe9-b09c-42ec-8f5f-27c43371eb0c

The target item for the client message does not exist: from: 0523e7f7-dc8d-4e9a-be67-e0f24ef79b57, to: 7d56dbe9-b09c-42ec-8f5f-27c43371eb0c

[Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.UnresolvableHandlerException @ Altiris.NS]

at Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher.DispatchWithinContext(Int32 eventQueueId, String message, Boolean useFilename, Int64 fileSize, Int64 eventId, MessageHeader header)

at Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher.TryDispatch(Int32 eventQueueId, String message, Boolean useFilename, Int64 fileSize, Int64 eventId)

Exception logged from:

at Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher.TryDispatch(Int32, String, Boolean, Int64, Int64)

at Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher.PerformDispatch(Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher+DispatchSlot, Boolean&)

at Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher.WorkerDispatchStep(Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher+DispatchSlot, Altiris.Common.Threading.IAutoCallContextSnapshot)

at Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher.PerformDispatchSlotLoop(Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher+DispatchSlot, String&)

at Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher.PerformDispatchSlotLoop(Altiris.NS.Logging.EventLog+IMeasureOperation, Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher+DispatchSlot)

at Altiris.NS.ClientMessaging.EventQueueDispatcher.DispatchSlotThreadProc(Object)

at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object)

The "To" GUID is always the same so I assume it is something that has been deleted or removed, that is still running as a policy?

Any idea how I find out what it was/is or how I remediate?

Thanks,

Chris.

------------------------------
    Keele University

• 2.  RE: NSE Failed events: The target item for the client message does not exist

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 01, 2020 11:05 AM
    HI Chris,

You can use the query in this KB to get more info on that GUID if it still exists in the DB:
    https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/171823

• 3.  RE: NSE Failed events: The target item for the client message does not exist

Posted May 04, 2020 06:38 AM
    Hi - the result of the query was 0 results.

Keele University

• 4.  RE: NSE Failed events: The target item for the client message does not exist

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 01, 2020 04:21 PM
    Please check whether this GUID is in 'ItemDeleted' sql table or not

Software QA Engineer 3
    Broadcom Inc.

• 5.  RE: NSE Failed events: The target item for the client message does not exist

Posted May 04, 2020 06:39 AM
    Hi - no nothing returned from that table.

Keele University

• 6.  RE: NSE Failed events: The target item for the client message does not exist

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 06, 2020 02:53 PM

There is existing article about such cases but related to Software Management Solution:
    https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/164721/errors-in-the-smp-logs-state-while-tryin.html

As far as I see on my environment there is no such items, resources in database by default where guid is like 7d56dbe9-b09c-42ec-8f5f-27c43371eb0c so I suspect that you have some custom powershell script tasks which are running on clients to populate custom inventory data in your custom data classes, but now data class doesn't and you aren't using at least 8.5 RU2 released build.
    Maybe give a try with solution in link above for single client computer which causes such error in NS log.

Best regards,
    IP.

Software QA Engineer 3
    Broadcom Inc.

• 7.  RE: NSE Failed events: The target item for the client message does not exist

Posted May 11, 2020 11:03 AM
    Edited by chrismcevoy72 May 11, 2020 11:04 AM
    OK - I've narrowed this down.  Fortunately we still had our old v8.1 server running and did the database search on that.  It seems it's the PCAnywhere plugin from a previous version of the agent.  7d56dbe9-b09c-42ec-8f5f-27c43371eb0c is the PCAnywhere Inventory Item according to the sql query.  The PCs affected have all gone through agent upgrades as we've migrated so PCAnywhere plugin hasn't been removed. 

So I assume the agents are reporting they have the PCAnywhere plugin installed, but the new server (v8.5 RU3) doesn't know what to do with the info.  Next question - how do we now remotely remove the pcanywhere plugin from these PCs?

Keele University

• 8.  RE: NSE Failed events: The target item for the client message does not exist

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2020 11:15 AM
    https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/178474/how-to-remove-pcanywhere-solution-plugin.html