Client Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  PC Age report graph

Posted Jul 16, 2019 02:52 AM

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to create a report to group those PCs that  are of certain age, but I haven't been able to do so. 

I was following these instructions: https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/age-computer-and-form-factor-report but the filter expressions tab, doesn't let me put the same information. I just want to do a count of the PCs that are of certain age.

I've also cloned the "Age by BIOS date" report and still can't modify successfully nor get the report view I need (a graph).

I've tried to create a new report and modify an existing one and whenever I do a modification, it'll show this error:

An unexpected SQL error occurred when retrieving the schema from the RawSqlDataSource

Any ideas? Thank you!

• 2.  RE: PC Age report graph

Posted Mar 19, 2020 12:43 PM
    Did you make any progress with this?
    We had a similar task and ended up exporting the list of serial numbers which we then fed to a custom built bot that queried the vendor's website for the purchased date for each serial number. We also obtained the warranty info which we then inserted back into Altiris.
    Just curious how you may have solved this.

• 3.  RE: PC Age report graph

Posted Apr 03, 2020 08:27 AM
    BIOS date is a bad gauge of how old a machine is, because it's simply the compile date of the BIOS.  The best thing to do is to get a dump of purchase dates and serial numbers from the vendors if possible, and create a data class that stores that date. 

Since we have a mix of computers that were received through asset management, acquired, mysteriously appeared, etc, I used several different dates and chose the oldest one in the sql query. In the attached report (datagrid view and pie chart view), I removed my custom class with the ship date and added the bios dates in the union, which again I do not recommend.  In the SQL query, there is a variable 'targetdate' that can be set if the age of the computer is to be shown as of a future date (lifecycle management project deadline, etc). 

------------------------------
    Ben Barker
    Systems Engineer
    ------------------------------

Attachment(s)