Protection Suite Enterprise Edition

View Only
  • 1.  Installed Agent does not find all devices in subnet

Posted Oct 12, 2020 07:49 PM
    Hello All, 
    I'm very new to this product, so if I'm in the wrong area my apologies. 

We have moved from SEP small business to SES and I'm totally lost as to functionality. I have been on a call with Tech support for an hour, and the only take away is that I have to have one Agent running on a machine that will scan the entire subnet for all devices and report them back. This sucks as we have 12 different subnets, and not all the devices are being found, for example my workstation.
    1. Is there a way to push the new agent to all my workstations and laptops without having to install the discovery agent on all of my subnet DC's.
    2. Why are some devices found and not others?
    3. When trying to push the install to a device that was listed, the install fails with different errors ranging from services not running (which I have confirmed they are) to firewall rules about inbound settings. This is odd because we already had SEP in play, so what is the new configuration that I have to have?
    4. I cant change my name! they got it wrong when (who knows) setup my account. firstname.lastname twice, and I cant change it. I get a 3160 error, and I have been unable to find any documentation on that error, so I'm stuck. 

Thanks in advance!
    Jay

• 2.  RE: Installed Agent does not find all devices in subnet

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 13, 2020 01:00 PM
    It sounds to me like you're referring to the Device Discovery capability in SES. You can find detailed information and instructions on how that works here: https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/symantec-security-software/endpoint-security-and-management/endpoint-security/sescloud/Installing-the-Symantec-Agent-and-enrolling-devices/finding-devices-for-enrollment-v127881118-d4155e6553.html

Answers to your questions: 
    1) We use ARP protocol to find presence of device on the network so search ends often times at the switch. So if you have separate subnets, then you will need to create an agent and deploy on each segment and then run discovery. So for your example, you would deploy an agent to 12 devices to each of your 12 subnets and then run an Entire Subnet scan for each.
    2) You'd need to work with support to pinpoint the root cause, but some devices may not be found because of network configurations, firewall configurations (various Windows communication protocols/ports must be available), at the time of the on-demand scan the devices were offline/sleep mode, etc.
    3) You'd need to work with support to pinpoint the root cause. In terms of prerequisites, see this article for how to prepare devices for enrollment: https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/symantec-security-software/endpoint-security-and-management/endpoint-security/sescloud/Installing-the-Symantec-Agent-and-enrolling-devices/preparing-discovered-devices-for-push-enrollment-v128535812-d4155e7304.html
    4) Sorry but I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding your name being incorrect. Recommend you open a case or post this issue in the Customer Care forum: https://community.broadcom.com/groups/communities/communityhomeblogs?CommunityKey=c475a143-13f8-4809-b469-d8541b80ea91

• 3.  RE: Installed Agent does not find all devices in subnet

Posted Oct 13, 2020 01:15 PM
    Thanks Steve. I have gone thru those docs, and I'm working on a GPO to push out for all necessary reg-edits, and firewall rules.
    I have not found where I need to change the sleep setting, but that sounds like a good idea to and to the GPO.

on the portal management page it show my first and last name in both fields, so when I preform any tasks it shows as jay.reafs jay.reafs did a thing. the error I get (3160) is when I try and change my name in my profile on the portal. I have attached a screen shot if this helps. 
    Thanks again for the advice.

------------------------------
    Systems Administrator
    TERRA Staffing Group
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Installed Agent does not find all devices in subnet

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 13, 2020 02:11 PM
    Got it. I'm unfamiliar with that error. Recommend you open a case so support can review.