Patch Management Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Update Task Disabled

Posted Jun 24, 2019 04:49 PM

If there's a problem in Windows that's preventing a patch from installing, once the source of the problem is resolved, should the agent retry deployment at my preset patch times?  There was a cryptography issue with installing KB4489885 that affected a few of our desktops so checking on whether I need to take any kind of action in my SMC.

• 2.  RE: Update Task Disabled

Posted Jun 25, 2019 04:48 PM
    What is the status on the patch in the agent? “Update Scheduled” HOWTO84003 How to Immediately Download, Install and Report a Software Update in Patch Management https://support.symantec.com/us/en/article.howto84003.html

• 3.  RE: Update Task Disabled

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 27, 2019 10:30 AM

Hi Clint,

there is a retry functionality in Patch plug-in - if update installation fails it will be retried according to "Reinstallation attempts after task failure" option in Software Update Plug-in policy - by default 3 times.

Please note that retry interval is one hour and there is a chance that all retries were already performed by the time issue (that prevented the installation) was resolved. There are several triggers that cause reset of retries count:
    -    reboot of endpoint
    -    change of SWU policy
    -    change of update state based on modification of applicability rules in Patch Data

Thanks,
    Dmitri.