Patch Management Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Installing Symantec Management (Altiris) on an iMac

Posted Jan 06, 2021 11:30 AM
    Do anyone have any documentation or can tell me the proper or recommended way to install the Symantec Management Agent (Altiris) onto an iMac. I installed it onto an iMac but in the Altiris console its not showing as if the PC have it installed. Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Installing Symantec Management (Altiris) on an iMac

Posted Jan 07, 2021 01:38 AM

Dear Sid9678,

Installing the SMA on MacOS has become increasingly easier with every version.

If you have SMP 8.5 you can use the download page to simply download the pkg file and run that:

1. Go to the Agent push page, Actions -> Agents/Plug-ins -> Push Symantec management agent
    2. From there in the bottom part of the web page, titled Push install, select the Mac as the platform and click on view page

1. You can then click to download the pkg file and run that

For MacOS related commands please see: https://help.symantec.com/cs/itms8.5/SMPLAT/v71630705_v125258922/Symantec-Management-Agent-for-UNIX,-Linux,-and-Mac-troubleshooting-commands?locale=EN_US

You can also push the agent if the remote management under sharing is enabled:

signature_2041582263

Rufus Swart 

Cyber SecOps Automation Principle 

DotCom Security

Bylsbridge Office Park
    Centurion, 0157

C: +27 82 532 3250

E:  rufuss@dotcomsecurity.co.za

W: www.dotcomsoftware.co.za

EMAIL DISCLAIMER – 

This message contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, copy or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, facsimile or telephone and thereafter delete the material from any computer. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the view of the entity transmitting the message.

• 3.  RE: Installing Symantec Management (Altiris) on an iMac

Posted Jan 22, 2021 06:50 PM
    Rufus this is what I tried. First our iMac's are not part or joined to our domain. 
    1) I went to Actions>Agents/Plug-ins>Push Symantec Management Agent
    2) Click on Install Agent for UNIX, Linux and Mac
    3) Under Pull install , then under Page View, I selected Mac from the dropdown next to Select platform
    4) I clicked on View page and I downloaded the Symantec Management Agent Installer for Mac using Edge on my Windows 10 PC
    5) I then copied the Symantec_Management_Agent_Installer.pkg to the iMac and run the installer. 

It appears to install fine but the Mac doesn't show that it has the Agent in the console and it do not show any information for the Mac. Anything I'm missing here?

• 4.  RE: Installing Symantec Management (Altiris) on an iMac

Posted Jan 23, 2021 01:39 AM
    Hi Sid9678,

Can you ping the NS fqdn from the mac?, if not check dns settings or add a host file entry ( sudo nano /etc/hosts)

If dns is fine open the agent on the mac and check the logs, we had issues with agent registration, post the log as an attachment.

Cheers,
    Rufus 

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Installing Symantec Management (Altiris) on an iMac

Posted Jan 25, 2021 08:13 AM
    I'm not that familiar with Mac's. I cannot PING the NS from the Mac. The Mac is not on NET nor does it have VPN, our server is not available offnet and without VPN. I'll try and get on the end user Mac and check the logs and get back

• 6.  RE: Installing Symantec Management (Altiris) on an iMac

Posted Jan 25, 2021 01:30 PM
    Hi Sid9678,

If the Mac can’t connect to VPN or isn’t on the corporate network where the NS is then the agent will not connect.

If the NS has a gateway configured you can generate an installer, will send you the steps if you confirm the gateway is configured then the agent can communicate over the internet to the NS.

I would strongly suggest having a support partner they should be able to guide you through small issues like these.

Send the logs then I can check if there is anything we can see.

Cheers,
    Rufus

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Installing Symantec Management (Altiris) on an iMac

Posted Jan 25, 2021 01:47 PM
    Yes, we have a gateway configured for offnet usage. Can you please send the steps and then I can try it that way and see if it communicates. Thank you

• 8.  RE: Installing Symantec Management (Altiris) on an iMac

Posted Jan 25, 2021 02:19 PM
    Hi Sid9678,

Ok that is good news, to generate the agent go to setting > all settings > notification server > cloud enabled management > setup >cloud enabled management setup

Select Symantec management agent configuration and click on generate and download sma install package 

Select mac from the operating system selector, and configure the name and the password field, optionally adjust the expiry date

Click on generate, once done download the package and copy to the mac, run the installation.

Kind Regards,
    Rufus 

Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: Installing Symantec Management (Altiris) on an iMac

Posted Feb 01, 2021 08:43 AM
    Rufus,

Thank you, as soon as I can get onto an iMac and do the install I'll update the thread but how do I un-install Altiris from a Mac? We have a script for Windows computers. How would I un-install Altiris from a Mac?

• 10.  RE: Installing Symantec Management (Altiris) on an iMac

Posted Feb 01, 2021 10:11 AM

Hi Sid9678,

To uninstall the agent on MacOS run the below command in a terminal window:

sudo /opt/altiris/notification/nsagent/bin/aex-uninstall