Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Inventorying ESXi Host

Posted Jan 26, 2022 02:20 PM
    Hello everyone.  We have long been seeking a way to do a very basic inventory of ESXi hosts.  We've discussed doing network scans, but we have been told by various consultants to NOT do a network scan since we are doing AD imports and that data could convolute what is in the database.

Two questions:
    1. How are other customers handling inventory of the ESXi host devices (make, model, serial - at a minimum...but RAM, HDD, PROC would be nice)
    2. Have there been any discussions regarding developing a client that can be loaded on the ESXi hosts to gather this information?

I am hoping we are missing something ****, but I AM curious what others are doing.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Inventorying ESXi Host

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 26, 2022 02:45 PM

HI 

You can try to use a VMM solution from ITMS to discover and inventory required hosts

Best regards,
    IP.

------------------------------
    [JobTitle]
    [CompanyName]
    [State]
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Inventorying ESXi Host

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 06, 2022 01:38 AM
    Hi Jeff, 
    I must agree with Igor on this one. If you are only looking at the physical host, go for the Network Discover task. If your ESXi servers are in AD, you could then set up a Merge Computer/Resource task to prevent the discovered from the scan and the imported item from AD, but the merge will only work if one  of the found items is a Managed device. If you already have the ESXi servers in your CMDB, you could exclude them from the Network Discover task. 

If you are looking for hosted VMs, then you need to go the VMM route and have the VMM plugin enabled, and credentials saved and applied within the PPA to be able to inventory the hosted VMs.