Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Data Connector Import: Expressions and skipping rows

Posted Aug 08, 2019 01:01 PM

I'm having some really basic issues with the Data Connector Import functionaity. One issue revolves around expressions, and the other is a general use case problem.

1.  How do you escape new lines / tabs in an import expression for a text field like comment?  I've tried multiple methods and all I end up with are \t and \n in the output between my column names.  Here's the expression and test results:

Import Expression

2. How can I skip and report on rows during the import process based on field comparisons to stored information? 

For example, I'm writing an import to update Computer status (Retired / Disposed) based on a CSV that contains the Computer Name, Serial Number, etc.  I want to compare the Serial Number provided in the import CSV to the one in Altiris for the Computer Name.  If they do not match, i want to skip importing that row and generate a log message indicating the mismatch.

Thanks for any help,

John

• 2.  RE: Data Connector Import: Expressions and skipping rows
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 28, 2019 06:47 PM

Posting in case anyone else ever comes looking for this information.

1.  The import expression only allows escape characters when dealing with Column names.  You cannot use the escape characters to format a field.  Additionally, it is impossible to do with a preprossing function on the data source either.  It appears that text fields brought into the system are stripped of special characters and whitespace automatically.

2.  The general question remains, but I did find a way to compare key fields by creating a resource key as a data class consisting of the two fields I wanted to compare (name and sn).  Then create a Resource Lookup Key associated with your resource type.  Finally, use that new key in your import rule to mapping.  If the two values do not match, and you do not allow creation, then the row will fail and be placed in the log file.