Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Completely Remove Altiris Agent

Posted Jan 31, 2019 05:34 PM

I couldn't find anything recent in the knowledgebase (i.e. whatever articles I came across specified versions less than 8.1) so thought I'd post my query here.  So if I have a computer with SMA 8.1 that no longer has network connectivity to my SMP server, what's the current thought on commands to manually and most thoroughly remove the Altiris Agent from the workstation?  Are commands for, say, 7.5 still applicable for 8.1?

• 2.  RE: Completely Remove Altiris Agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 31, 2019 09:00 PM

Yes, Uninstall command lines for Symantec Management Agent uninstallation works  for 7.5 & 8.x versions, even if they don't have connection with Notification Server.

Examples of available uninstall cmd lines  (In case of enabled UAC on client PC, open cmd as Administrator):

C:\>"Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\AeXAgentUtil.exe" /clean

C:\>"Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\AeXAgentUtil.exe" /uninstall

C:\>"Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\AeXNSAgent.exe" /uninstall

And If you had checked "Add/Remove Program List" checkbox in Default Settings on "Agen Install" page, before Agent installation on client compouters, then you can uninstall Agent on required Workstations from "Add/Remove Program".

Thanks,

IP.

• 3.  RE: Completely Remove Altiris Agent

Posted Feb 04, 2019 07:12 PM

So what would you say about the following HOWTO which is a bit dated and only lists up to version 7.1?  Looks like it's using a couple switches with AeXAgentUtil to remove the SMA and plugins along with manual registry deletions.  Curious why someone would want to uninstall just the SMA but not the plugins?

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO2463.html

Anyhow, whatever set of commands I end up using, hopefully I can script it.

• 4.  RE: Completely Remove Altiris Agent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 04, 2019 11:20 PM

Uninstallation of SMA causes all other plug-ins uninstallation as well as Site Service plug-ins.

Check all available parameters for:

C:\>"Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\AeXAgentUtil.exe" /?

C:\>"Program Files\Altiris\Altiris Agent\AeXNSAgent.exe" /?