Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  Automatically assign Cost Center to assets

Posted Apr 23, 2019 06:51 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a way to assign automatically the cost center to the computers. I've been trying to do that by setting a CMDB rule, but I've not been able to do it correctly. 

I was looking for other comments/threads, but couldn't find any response. This is the only one I could find that's similar: https://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/update-cost-center-ownership?ts=1555939553

Any ideas? Thank you!

• 2.  RE: Automatically assign Cost Center to assets

Posted Apr 24, 2019 03:47 PM
    What is your criteria for setting the Cost Center? What data are you using to map one to the other? What did you try in the data connector —- Here’s an example of setting a location, you could transfer the principles How to create a CMDB rule to automatically assign locations to computers or users HOWTO85126 https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO85126.html

• 3.  RE: Automatically assign Cost Center to assets
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 25, 2019 03:22 AM

You could also use a Task.

Manage | Jobs and Tasks, Right Click, New | Task, Search for Center.

Service and Asset Management | CMDB | Assign Asset to Cost Center

SMP - Assign Asset to Cost Center

• 4.  RE: Automatically assign Cost Center to assets

Posted Apr 25, 2019 10:42 AM

I wanted to use the criteria for the Location + Department, as those are the names for the cost centers and I don't have any other way to "know" the cost center, except those.

I've tried those principles in the link provided, but it keeps skipping the rows when I try it. 

I've used the "inventory" view to see the table affected when there's a Cost Center ownership and that's what I've tried.

So far this is what I have tried, getting the rows "skipped for association 'Cost Center'. Null values found in one or more key lookup columns":

Resource Type = Computer

Target = SQL Query

Query = 

select vAsset._ResourceGuid, vasset.[Serial Number], vAssetCostCenterOwner._CCGuid, vAssetCostCenterOwner.[Cost Center], vAssetCostCenterOwner.[_ccId], vAssetCostCenterOwner.[Ownership Percentage]

, vDepartment_Location_CostCenter.Location, vDepartment_Location_CostCenter.Department,  Inv_Cost_Center_Ownership.[_ResourceGuid],Inv_Cost_Center_Ownership.[Owner], Inv_Cost_Center_Ownership.[Ownership Percentage],

CC = case

when  [Location] = [Department] THEN [Location]

When [location] <> [Department] then CONCAT(SUBSTRING([Location],1,12),[Department] )

end

from vasset

left join vAssetCostCenterOwner

on vAsset._ResourceGuid = vAssetCostCenterOwner._AssetGuid

left join vDepartment_Location_CostCenter

on vAssetCostCenterOwner._CCGuid = vDepartment_Location_CostCenter.CostCenterGuid

left join Inv_Cost_Center_Ownership

on vAssetCostCenterOwner.[_AssetGuid] = Inv_Cost_Center_Ownership.[_ResourceGuid]

where vAsset.[Asset Type] = 'Computer' and vAsset.Status = 'Active'

Now, I'm not sure what lookup keys it's using and in theory, it shouldn't be an update, because it's a new registry in the table.

I'm doing a new query now, but not sure how it'll turn out. Will post it as soon as I test it. 

• 5.  RE: Automatically assign Cost Center to assets

Posted Apr 26, 2019 03:09 AM

Ah! This could work! Thank you so much!