Symantec Management Platform (Notification Server)

View Only
  • 1.  AeXNSClient - recovery options

Posted Sep 23, 2020 06:08 PM

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone is aware of additional/optional steps to recover "hung" Altiris-Agents (aexnsclient-service) after sending devices into e.g. hibernate "too often" - it seems like the default-recovery-options (Agent-Version 8.5 RU3) is not working as intended/desired on a lot of hosts!

Any feedback would be appreciated,

TY & BR

• 2.  RE: AeXNSClient - recovery options

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 24, 2020 02:57 AM
    The default recovery options work only if agent service process AeXNSAgent.exe crashes or terminates unexpectedly. They do not work if service is hanging or deadlocked. Unfortunately that happens for various reasons including bugs in the agent or 3rdparty software like anti-viruses that inject DLLs into SMA service, sometimes some Windows updates cause the problem as well. There is no any watchdog process now that could restart SMA, sorry about that, maybe we should create one.
    For now is it possible to ask you to collect and upload somewhere the full memory dump of aexnsagent.,exe and aexagentuihost.exe processes while SMA hanging? Please send me the link and I will inspect the dumps. It could be that you will just need to update anti-virus to the latest version.
    You can use Task Manager or procdump.exe or Process Explorer to create the dumps. Please create the full dumps, not mini.
    thanks!

sergei