Web Application Firewall & Reverse Proxy

View Only
  • 1.  Need firewall to always allow Windows APP. Even when prompting is enabled

Posted May 21, 2018 01:47 AM

Hello, I'm using SEP 12. I have "Allow only application traffic" turned on, along with "Prompt before allowing application traffic". I want to LIMIT which application has access to the internet. It works good, however, with Windows 10, I have to CONSTANTLY click "Allow" and "Remember this setting" does not work. 

For example, take a look at this: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_11804.1001.10.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\WinStore.App.exe

When Microsoft Store tries to access the internet, I get prompted if I want to allow it. I click yes and always remember. Then, some things changes, for example the version changes or the folder name changes, and I have to click "Allow" again. 

I would like to exclude C:\Program Files\WindowsApps from being prompted by the firewall and just ALLOW everything on WindowsApps folder. I've added that folder to security and sonar exclusion, but it still get prompted by the firewall. 

It's not that big of a problem if it happens with Microsoft Store, but it happens with Windows 10 picture app... literally everytime it opens a picture, I get prompted "Do you want to allow picture to access internet"? 

This gets very annoying. Are there any solution available? If not, I would need to uninstall SEP and get a firewall that can handle this. 

• 2.  RE: Need firewall to always allow Windows APP. Even when prompting is enabled

Posted May 21, 2018 01:50 AM

Sorry about this. I forgot to complete the Title, and I don't see a way to edit it. Are there any mod available to change the title? Should be something like "Need firewall to always allow Windows APP. Even when prompting is enabled".

• 3.  RE: Need firewall to always allow Windows APP. Even when prompting is enabled

Posted May 21, 2018 07:16 AM

What version of SEP 12.1 are you running? Is it a supported build for the version of Windows that you have? SEP and Windows 10 support info is located here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH235458

This could already be a known issue.

• 4.  RE: Need firewall to always allow Windows APP. Even when prompting is enabled

Posted May 21, 2018 01:03 PM

Hello, sorry, should have mentioned that sooner. 

I'm using 12.1 RU6 MP7

Is this issue fixed on SEP 14? 

Thanks

• 5.  RE: Need firewall to always allow Windows APP. Even when prompting is enabled

Posted May 21, 2018 01:07 PM

Can't say for sure, you'd need to review release/fix notes. You didn't mention the specific version of Windows 10 you're running but if SEP isn't supported on it then this could be an issue.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163829