Data Loss Prevention Cloud and Symantec CloudSOC

View Only
  • 1.  Do "Remediation Detection Preferences" actually do anything?

Posted Sep 09, 2019 01:03 PM

Hello!

I created a test detection rule (keyword-based) with "Item Modified" and "Item No Longer Exists" turned on, then scanned a Discover Target looking at a particular folder in which I had created a text file with the particular keyword. The scan found the file, but subsquent scans did nothing to the previous Incident after I had modified and deleted the file. Am I missing something here? The help files include the following description:

About automatically tracking incident remediation status

You can configure Network Discover to automatically track the remediation status of file system target incidents.

During the first Network Discover scan for a given file system target, incident metadata (resource name, policies violated, and so on) is added to the Discover incident remediation tracking catalog. If during a subsequent scan an incident stored in the catalog does not appear in the scan results, Network Discover marks the incident as remediated with one of the following status indicators:

• Item modified. The item has been modified and no longer violates a policy. In the case where both the item and policy have changed, the incident will be remediated as Item modified. This option is off by default.

• Policy modified. The policy that the incident violated has changed. In the case where both the item and policy have changed, the incident will be remediated as Item modified. This option is off by default.

• Item no longer exists. The item has been moved, deleted, or renamed. This option is on by default.

I can find nothing on the discovered incidents to indiocate that these options have done anything. Are there additional steps that need to be taken? Am I misunderstanding the purpose? Any information here would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Do "Remediation Detection Preferences" actually do anything?

Posted Feb 07, 2020 04:47 PM

I'm working on a similar effort and noticed the same. That option is on by default but doesn't seem to be remediating the incidents as we are removing some data and the incident count for "NEW" remains the same.

• 3.  RE: Do "Remediation Detection Preferences" actually do anything?

Posted Feb 10, 2020 03:57 PM

adam_g - 

We actually figured this one out. The Status ("New") remains the same, but on rescanned items there's a "Remediation Detection Status" field in the "Incident Details" that is one of the following: "No Remediation Detected", "Item Modified", "Item No Longer Exists", or "Policy Modified". This field is also filterable, so the solution would seem to be to add a filter of "Remediation Detection Status Is Any Of  Item Modified, Item No Longer Exists, Or Policy Modified" to yout reports. This should exclude incidents that have been remediated.