Email Threat Detection and Response

View Only
  • 1.  ATP: Email - scan existing emails?

Posted Apr 10, 2019 10:43 AM

Hi all, 

Here's a scenario.  A franchise owner is stuck with a legacy email system that has no email security at all, not even spam filtering.  The IT people at HQ own the domain name for which all these franchise owners have their email, so the franchise owners have no control over anything.  And apparently there is no option to implement any type of security under the current system - probably more a budgtet or political issue than technical but whatever.  

Thus we have no options to implement Symantec email security at the domain level.  But, what if we got this user an Office 365 Business Premium account and set them up with some random domain name they buy at GoDaddy.  Would there be options within Outlook on a Windows machine to forward email or something and have it be scanned when it lands in the domain controlled by the user?  And ieven if that's doable, would it be likely the user can do things like reply back, without it looking like it was some doulbe-forwarded email?  

Thanks very much.   

• 2.  RE: ATP: Email - scan existing emails?

Posted Apr 10, 2019 10:48 AM

Oh sorry, and I meant to ask: can ATP: Email (on a Email SageGuard.cloud base), scan existing emails bring in from PST files or does it only scan inbound/outbound 'new' emails? I believe there is also retrospective scanning (I could be mistaken), and if so, does that only apply to actively transmitting emails or would it also apply to stored emails, bsically like a malware scanner on a computer that runs a full disk scan each night.  

Thanks!  

• 3.  RE: ATP: Email - scan existing emails?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 10, 2019 11:49 AM

Only Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange can scan files already delivered. All other products Symantec sells scan while in transport.

• 4.  RE: ATP: Email - scan existing emails?

Posted Apr 10, 2019 02:43 PM

Thanks Mr. Davis.  Any thoughts on the initial question - any way to somehow use O365 as a middleman of sorts to scan and filter emails?  AI guess though, as I htink about it, the original inbox of the user at eh domain managed by the parent company still contains the emails, both spam and legit ones, so probably the setup would not work. 

• 5.  RE: ATP: Email - scan existing emails?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 11, 2019 04:42 PM

There certainly are companies that route their mail through both services

• 6.  RE: ATP: Email - scan existing emails?

Posted Apr 12, 2019 09:00 AM

I'm geussing Symantec doesn't have a guidance doc on that sort of setup?  :)