Desktop Email Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  SED: TECH253087 Decryption blocked.

Posted Oct 24, 2019 11:21 AM

"SED: TECH253087 Decryption blocked. The file that you are trying to decrypt is not secure because it is not encrypted using SEIP (Symmetrically Encrypted Integrity Protected) packets."

I'm a home user who recently upgraded Symantec Encryption Desktop (SED) to version 10.4.2 MP3 and now can't open any of my many previously created PGP Zip files.  I found the TECH253087 tech article that says there's a solution, so contacted support but was told they can't help me at all because I didn't buy a license for the product.

So is Symantec is offering no solution to this problem for long time users of this product for home use, leaving us home users with encrypted data that's no longer accessible?

There must be something Symantec can suggest, or is Symantec saying home users must now pay for a software licence to get their data back (ransomware)?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

I'm running SED on Windows 8.1 Pro x64 OS.

• 2.  RE: SED: TECH253087 Decryption blocked.

Posted Oct 31, 2019 04:02 PM

Did you upgrade to 10.4.2 HF1?

I don't think they're holding you to ransom at all. If you bought the license and can prove you have a license for the product or even support, then I'd suggest raising it with them. If your support has expired, then that's another story.

• 3.  RE: SED: TECH253087 Decryption blocked.

Posted Oct 31, 2019 09:50 PM

I'm a home user who's been using PGP free for non-commercial use since the early PGP days, well before PGP was bought by Symantec.

From what I can tell, Symantec won't even sell the software to an individual (if they are actually selling it at all any more).

• 4.  RE: SED: TECH253087 Decryption blocked.

Posted Nov 01, 2019 01:04 AM

I would assume that if it's freeware essentially, then they won't offer support. But that's the same for any company.

If you check your licensing agreement, does it say something like that?

• 5.  RE: SED: TECH253087 Decryption blocked.

Posted Nov 02, 2019 01:25 PM

I don't want to contact Symantec "Support", but just want a way to access my many PGP encrypted files!  I'm only following their instructions in TECH253087 that say that the only way to be told how to set the secret options is by opening a support case

Every company I can think of that offers free software provides some low level of response or FAQs for users of their free software.

• 6.  RE: SED: TECH253087 Decryption blocked.

Posted Nov 02, 2019 03:40 PM

THis is a community forum, and if nobody can help you here, then your only recourse is to actually log a call with Symantec. If no FAQ exists, then add it as an Idea on these forums.

• 7.  RE: SED: TECH253087 Decryption blocked.

Posted Nov 09, 2019 02:31 PM

An FAQ would be great on this topic, but there are now a bunch of posts from people with this same issue.  No answers... they're leaving us hanging.  Maybe it's because of their purchse by Broadcom that they don't care?

• 8.  RE: SED: TECH253087 Decryption blocked.

Posted Nov 09, 2019 02:45 PM

I don't work for the company so I don't know.