Desktop Email Encryption

View Only
  • 1.  User can decrypt but cannot send encrypted emails

Posted Jan 08, 2018 07:34 PM

Symantec Encryption Desktop powere by PGP version 10.3.2

The user can read encrypted emails but when she tries to sign and send (or reply to) an encrypted email, she gets a failed message and the following log:

16:00:53 Email     Error    MAPI Proxy: OutMessage.cpp : Line 2491 : Echo::oc::mapi::OMessage::Encode
    16:00:53 Email     Error        PGPEncode failed
    16:00:53 Email     Error        OutMessage.cpp : Line 2897 : Echo::oc::mapi::OMessage::CypherMessageBody
    16:00:53 Email     Error            Received PGPSDK Specific error code -11496 (key has expired)

Her PGP key was created with no expiration date. She does have an expired Comodo S/MIME key in her keyring, but I am assuming that shouldn't matter since she is encrypting with her PGP key

We have three other installation of this product and they are not having the same issue.

I've tried re-installing with a backup of her keys (I was given re-installation instructions when we migrated to new laptops) and this didn't work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you!

Patrick

• 2.  RE: User can decrypt but cannot send encrypted emails

Posted Feb 14, 2022 09:35 AM
    Hello,

we have the same issue now. Did you receive any help or information on this issue?

Thx,
    Stefan

• 3.  RE: User can decrypt but cannot send encrypted emails

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 15, 2022 10:16 AM
    Was the key generated with PGP and recently?

It is odd that this would happen, so curious when the issue started happening?

The other thing if the key is not new, is to generate a test key with the email address and see if that key can be used to encrypt to.

The error clearly shows the key is expired, so if the key is not actually expired, it may be some oddity with the key itself, and likely not generated with PGP Desktop.

The version they are using is quite old and no longer supported for several years now, can you also have them try the new version and see if that helps?

We're on 10.5 MP3 currently.

------------------------------
    Global Support Lead, Encryption
    BRCM
    ------------------------------