Asset Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Network switches in a single view

Posted Dec 21, 2015 01:33 AM

Good %Greeting_Time% 

How do I get a list of 'Network switches' in a single view? (And routers, and other network devices)

I have the following scenario (as a close example):

300 switches total

• 100 are discovered with IP address only and show as 'Network Resource'
    • 100 are discovered with IP addres, and name, and show as 'Network Resource'
    • 100 are discovered with IP addres, and name, some SNMP info and show as 'Infrastructure Resource'

It seems to me from reading various Symantec documents that it is not possible to change the 'Resource Type' to anything you like? This seems astonishing given how much easier it would make it to manage the asset portfolio e.g. right click on any asset and select a 'Resource Type' (but that's all too easy, and just crazy talk :P

I thought I would try importing using CMDB solution, but that just creates duplicate entries, and will rediscover any entries I delete e.g. If I create Router1 I will end up with two instances of it, and I can't merge either! Also some switches show up multiple times, if they have multiple mac addresses

I can't tell easily through any report what my list of switches is? I can use the 'All Assets', or 'Assets folder reports in 'service & Asset Managment', but I can't easily tell one device from another? This is because I see 2000 or more devices in that list, and I see duplicates, and I can't see anything more granular than 'Infrstructure Device' or 'Network Resource'

How do I easily solve this issue please?!

ATTEMPT ONE: 

I thought I had the answer by creating a custom dataclass and linking it to 'Infrastructure Device, or 'Network Resource' - yay you clever man I said to myself proudly I won't have to care about how they are classified OOB - but dammit, I can't figure out how to show it in a report using the 'Report Builder Wizard' - see screen shot. 

Attempt 1.png

Attempt 2.png

ATTEMPT TWO:

I then thought I would try creating a custom resource type' of 'Switch' but again stuck on not being able to report easily, and then again the issue of duplicates

Help please! This is driving me mad!

PS. The Symantec reports for Switches, and Routers, are completely useless; and the out of box filter for SNMP devices is a little better but still krap! ...I ain't gunna cry though!

Rant.png

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• 2.  RE: Network switches in a single view

Posted Dec 21, 2015 04:13 PM

Attempt 1 update:

Hmmm after contemplating this overnight I think I might have made a break through after wrestling with this monster. It's a simple task to change the 'Base Query' as shown:

I can now easily link the new dataclass as shown in earlier screenshot and therefore control everything - I see in the report, by simplying assigning my custom asset type.

I'll update this when I'm done.

Attempt 3.png

• 3.  RE: Network switches in a single view

Posted May 11, 2016 05:32 AM

wtf!

what are those last three comments about?

• 4.  RE: Network switches in a single view

Posted May 16, 2016 12:26 PM

SPAM! They were all spam, and I've deleted them.

Cheers!
    Cheryl