Asset Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Asset Management or Application Metering?

Posted May 12, 2016 04:33 PM

I haven't enabled the Application Metering plug-in for my Altiris/SMP 7.5 setup (planning to move to 7.6 soon) but was wondering what can Symantec Asset Management Suite 7.6 do over and above Application Metering if all we're concerned about is determining how many people are actually running particular programs?  Will Asset Management Suite be overkill or can it, say, stop people from running software beyond what we're licensed for?  Never played around with app metering so I'm a total "space cadet" in this area of asset management.

• 2.  RE: Asset Management or Application Metering?

Posted Jul 21, 2016 02:42 AM

Inventory Solution tells you what software is installed. 

Application Metering tells you who is using the software, and provides the ability to prevent a user from running a piece of software. 

Inventory Solution plus Application Metering = license harvesting. 

Software Management Solution provides a basic license count feature as well as allowing you to create and deploy software packages in various forms. 

Asset Management Suite provides feature rich license, contract, and other asset functions. 

So, to answer your question, you will most likely be best off with using Application Metering unless you wish to either replace an existing asset management tool or have a second one.