Asset Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Migrating asset management data from 7.5 to 8.1

Posted Feb 06, 2018 05:00 AM

Dear All,

I'm new to altiris and got a task to migrate all asset management data from Altiris 7.5 to 8.1. 

Our client would need access to all data that is in the old infrastructure. I'm studying the asset management suite documentation for days now but could not get clear instructions on where to start this.

There is Altiris asset management solution 7.5 and Altiris asset management suite 7.5 installed in the current environment and Altiris asset management solution 8.1 RU3 and Altiris asset management suite 8.1 in the new environment.

Could someone please point me to a kind of documentation on how to perform the migration? 

Many thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Migrating asset management data from 7.5 to 8.1

Posted Feb 06, 2018 05:38 PM

I haven't look at AMS migrations in a good bit of time.

If the box is a mix of CMS and AMS - you may need this tool - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH166711.html

If just AMS - the NS Upgrade Wizard maybe useful - if installed its under X:\Program Files\Altiris\Upgrade.

And now that I think about it, I would probably just use Connector Solution to pull the information over. The 8.1 instance having its Connector Solution rules pull from the 7.5 database. Maybe even take a copy of the 7.5 database and upgrade it to 8.1. Either way, I would recommend testing everything in a lab / qa environment.

• 3.  RE: Migrating asset management data from 7.5 to 8.1

Posted Feb 09, 2018 02:47 AM

Many thanks MonitorMan,

I'll give it a go :)

• 4.  RE: Migrating asset management data from 7.5 to 8.1

Posted Mar 16, 2018 09:55 AM

MonitorMan get a point suggesting using the Connector Solution, it's really simple and nifty.

If you guys weren't planning on working with a new DB from zero, I'd recommend upgrading your DB to 7.6 or 8.0 and then going to 8.1 (don't need to use same infra, just point to the old DB when installing SMP).

Case you have multiple custom dataclasses, associations, assets, etc, just import and export them to the new console, works fine, no issues. Just don't forget to check dataclasses association with default assets.

Another great tool is using Replication rules, it really works neat as well.