Asset Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Asset tables are not showing the proper model number of computers

Posted Apr 13, 2016 11:12 AM

When I look at the vasset view and compare it to the vhwcomputersystem view the asset view is incorrect and showing old data.

We are just implimenting asset so this is new to me.  I found the task called "inventory to asset synchronization" thinking this might need to be run but added all computers as the filter and ran it with no changes to my results.

Is there something simple I am missing or should I open a ticket

• 2.  RE: Asset tables are not showing the proper model number of computers

Posted Apr 13, 2016 04:08 PM
    The "inventory to asset synchronization" Task doesn't update serial numbers in the Inv_Serial_Number table, only adds one where it's not present at all. Some light reading: "How does the CMDB task "Inventory to Asset Synchronization" work?" https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.HOWTO94989.html "How to troubleshoot the CMDB task "Inventory to Asset Synchronization"" http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH215919

• 3.  RE: Asset tables are not showing the proper model number of computers

Posted Apr 19, 2016 01:54 PM

This helps.  I was unaware that if the asset table already had data it was skipped.

We have a few machines that were upgraded but needed the same pc name, so they have the old model number in asset and not showing the new model.  

Is there a task or anything that can be performed to force this update/overwrite even if asset data already exists?

• 4.  RE: Asset tables are not showing the proper model number of computers

Posted Apr 20, 2016 11:47 AM
    I'm not aware of any existing Symantec Task to force overwrite, I just delete the information using SQL from Inv_Serial_Number.[Serial Number] then the next synchronisation task will write in the correct value.

• 5.  RE: Asset tables are not showing the proper model number of computers

Posted May 11, 2016 05:26 AM

The Inventory to Asset Sync Task copies Manufactuer, Model, Serial Number into differnet tables. It is typically run on a nightly schedulue.

You can see these three bits of information show when you right click and choose Edit for each computer object...scroll to the bottom and you will (should) see it poplulated. If it is not it usually means that there is a problem witht that asset e.g. It is not reporting Inventory because the Inventory plugin is not installed.

It is important to have this information correct for two main reasons:

1. It shows Healthy vs unhealthy assets

I create a monster report that has dozens of fields and is exported each day at 6am. In this monstor report I show those three columns so that I can easily see which ones do not have that information, and react accordingly (hunting down broken agents).

I'd say this is your 'root cause' of it not being populated so check out the assets not reporting. Remember this sequence 1. Agent Installed 2. Inventory Plugin deployed 3. Inventory Collected, 4. Overnight 'Inv to Asset Sync' updates tables (depending on how you schedule this might take a week)

2. It keeps this information after the asset has been purged by the 'Inventory Cleanup task'.

We want to keep a record of all our disposed assets and because of this we don't ever fully delete any computer objects. Because Altiris wipes everything through the Inventory Cleanup task', the only way to know Manufactuer, Model, Serial Number, is to have it added in here!

This is one of the krappy ways this product works, more thought should be given to asset artifacts adn this topic, but because it's to hard to change how it works, we just adapt to it's krappy behaviour

Another important thing to note is that if you don't have agent installed on the endpoint, then you need to do this manually. Get yourself a resource to enter this information if it's feasable, or else you can go through the whole cmdb import process as another option

• 6.  RE: Asset tables are not showing the proper model number of computers

Posted May 14, 2016 07:10 PM
    .. Just so I'm clear my comment here was an addendum to the options offered by Andy, you can write a report that will show the problem by duplicating the values of make model serial.