Asset Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Asset Management API

Posted Aug 27, 2019 11:54 PM

Hi all,

Could someone direct me to a comprehensive list of Asset Management APIs/webservices and documentation on how to call them?

I've been asked to expand our asset tracking to include mobile and tablet devices - custom data types as well, straightforward enough - but the standard asset entry interface is extremely simplistic and ill-featured, and doesn't provide anywhere near enough functionality for our asset team. Also, we'll be migrating away from our existing asset system and need some method by which the existing data can be imported. 

Writing a custom interface for non-IE browsers is trivial in theory if the APIs are available and documented. I did take a look at the Asset functionality in Symantec Workflow, but it is - as is most of Workflow, I've found - very poorly documented. (I'm already in the process of writing my own data storage structure and APIs but I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel if I can avoid it.)

Any assistance - or recommendations, or alternatives - on the matter would be appreciated.

DMcG

• 2.  RE: Asset Management API

Posted Aug 28, 2019 05:48 AM

Do you have an example of what you wish to do?

---

Have you looked in the ASDK forum?

I've written an Article documenting some changes in newer releases.

Theres a .chm help file on your altiris server with info and examples.

[Install Drive]:\Program Files\Altiris\Altiris ASDK\Help\ASDK##.chm

---

I wrote a comprehensive WF a number of years ago, linked to a Mobile app, to track an assets lifecycle from Goods In to Retirement, depending on what you need to do there are functions to achieve this.

I've written and collated a number of Articles on the Workflow.png Workflow Connect page if you were missing info from the solution, the Components are also community documented so if you are missing info on how a component works do mention it here or comment on the linked article from the help page within Workflow Solution.

---

tiberriver256 has written a PowerShell Module for interacting with the APIs.

Articles explaining how to use it.

• 3.  RE: Asset Management API

Posted Sep 08, 2019 11:16 PM

Thanks Alex. I've looked over most of these documents at some point or another and they've been of generally limited use. (PoshAltiris is nice, though.)

Here's an example of real-world usage: when constructing a custom asset data class, can I configure the Data Class Attribute Configuration --> Type --> SQL Query List to reference other attributes in the data class?

For example: if I presented the user with a Static List of Manufacturers for a particular type of hardware, how would I go about constructing a SQL Query List to populate a Model field based on the user's selection in the Manufacturer field

Dynamic lists really are an entry-level interface feature (surely it's supported by AM?!), but trying to find the relevant documentation on creating such options is a real struggle.

• 4.  RE: Asset Management API

Posted Sep 09, 2019 05:28 AM

If you are wanting to do this via your own interface you could leveage the APIs or SQL to do the following.

Resource: "Manufacturers"

Add/import an item per Manufacturer, could use Data Connector and pull in any info you wish.

You could then create a Resource of "Model", add/import a list of these.

Then create a Resource Association of Manufacturer to Model and link these however you wish, again this could be done with your Data Connector(s) and Import Rule(s).

Then in your UI you could grab the data either via the APIs or write some SQL that then uses this association(s) to create a casading combo.

You could then set these values against the data class on a computer for instance.

• 5.  RE: Asset Management API

Posted Sep 09, 2019 05:40 AM

Also worth looking through all of Joel Smith's Articles as he explains things very well:

Software Management Resource Schema 7.5-7.6

• https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/software-management-resource-schema-75-76