Asset Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  Altiris AMS Locations

Posted Jul 11, 2015 04:09 AM

I'd like clarifiication regarding creating locations please:

If I create a location with a linked subnet, and then create a child location with no linked subnet it seems that any computer belonging to that parent locations subnet will always reattach itself to the parent location after the 'update network resource location' task runs.

so to illustrate:

Eastside (subnet=none) > Building 1 (subnet=none) > Level1 (subnet=192.168.1.0/24)  > Room 1(subnet=none)

If I manually add a computer with the IP Address 192.168.1.11/24 to the location 'Room 1' then it always reassigns itself back to the parent which is 'Level1' (after update network resource location' task runs)

The impact of this, is that I can't do a manual audit and assign computers to sub locations (e.g Room 1, Room2, Room3, etc.) UNLESS I unlink the subnet? because they always return back to the parent subnet. However, once I unlink the subnet, from that day forth, everything will need to added to a site manually!?

This seems to me to be a common issue? Can you please advise smartest way to deal with this issue?

• 2.  RE: Altiris AMS Locations

Posted Jul 11, 2015 06:19 PM
    Exclude "Room 1" from the "Update Network Resource Location" Task. And the other rooms. Maybe you could write a Filter Query that includes all Computers with a Location that is the Child of a location with an assigned subnet.

• 3.  RE: Altiris AMS Locations

Posted Jul 12, 2015 05:06 AM

Hi Andy, yes good lateral thinking thanks! 

It seems to me this is a common problem though?! Is that how this problem is typically resolved?

I've figured out how to clone the task, but struglling a bit trying to find how to create a filter that excludes child location! ...can you give me more information please?

• 4.  RE: Altiris AMS Locations

Posted Jul 14, 2015 03:18 PM
    I'm afraid I haven't gone down that route myself, where I've seen a mix of manual and automatic location assignment it's usually by groups tha are easier to differentiate by filter, like laptops and desktops. A starting point for the sort of SQL you might need would be the Asset reports dealing with location.

• 5.  RE: Altiris AMS Locations

Posted Aug 15, 2015 08:28 AM

hmm i contemplated another answer. perhaps it is also possible to add the same ip range to the child location!??

so to illustrate:

Eastside (subnet=none) > Building 1 (subnet=none) > Level1 (subnet=192.168.1.0/24)  > Room 1(subnet=192.168.1.0/24)

That way the device would never be moved to the parent location because it is the same for the child!!??