Asset Management Suite

View Only
  • 1.  SNMP Manufacturer Model S/N on ESX, Switches, and Routers

Posted Nov 23, 2015 07:02 PM

Hi All,

Can someone please advise how manufactuer and model and serial number information is collected on SNMP devices?

SNMP does not seem to collect this information? In particular on ESX hosts.

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  RE: SNMP Manufacturer Model S/N on ESX, Switches, and Routers

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 24, 2015 02:34 AM

Hi mike.b.auckland,

If you are using "Agentless Inventory" task, then you can check existing set of SNMP Data Mapping tables and SNMP Device Classification. Probably required SNMP OIDs aren't there what you exactly need.

AgentlessInventory_0.jpg

Make sure that "SNMP" Protocol has correct settings in "Connection Profile" to make successfull connection to remote device/resource via SNMP.

You can Increase time out for SNMP Protocol as well to avoid requests time out from remote device, in case of network delay, etc while an agentless inventory task is running.

SNMPConnection.jpg

Thanks,

IP.

• 3.  RE: SNMP Manufacturer Model S/N on ESX, Switches, and Routers

Posted Dec 14, 2015 07:41 PM

Thanks for taking time to reply Igor,

I'm still looking at this as an issue as described further below but can state the following:

The make and model for ESX hosts are stored in an OOB report called 'Host Summary Report' example of two columns from it below

Hardware Vendor Hardware Model
    IBM System x3650 M2 -[794772M]-

Once discovering this, I have exported then imported this information directly into the table using CMDB Solution as shown:

CMDB Import_0.png

Which gives me this view for each ESX Computer  inside 'Computer > Edit Configuration Item'

Manufacturer Model.png

</rant start>

It seems astonishing that I even had to do this! Why can't Symantec make it automaitcally populate these two fields?! The two fields have to populated, because one the asset has been retired/disposed all the make model information goes along with it. They should ALWAYS retain at the very least make, model, serial number, os, ip, (maybe user field info). After all if it is going to always show in the Symantec_CMDB as a 'Disposed' asset, at least leave some meaningful information behind!

For other Agented Computers, I also have to run the 'Inventory To Asset Synchronization' task to get the information there to start with

</rant end>

Anyway I'm still stuck trying to get the serial number for ESX hosts, and make, model, s/n for switches. I've tried the OIDs, and MIB files, but need to spend more time on it to understand how it works, and get it working.

Another comment I'd like to make is that I don't think SNMP requires the trap server port, protocol, I think it only needs 'SNMP V1,V2' so port 161, not port 162 (unless it is being actively monitored, and I'm not sure if/how Altiris does this)