Management Center and Reporting

View Only
  • 1.  Reporter VA

Posted Oct 01, 2020 06:37 AM
    Investigating installing Symantec Reporter 10 using one of the virtual appliances.
    Confused by documentation as to whether you can use a VA in a closed network or if you must have internet access. Some places documentation says must have internet access other place imply you can configure the VA for a closed network.
    Doe anybody know the definitive answer on this ?

• 2.  RE: Reporter VA

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2020 02:33 PM
    Hi Adrian,

I think this excerpt of the Reporter Admin Guide (pg 9) best answers your question:

Unless you have purchased a VA offline license, constant Internet connection is required for Reporter to communicate
    regularly with the license validation server to confirm that the serial number is valid. If communication with the server
    fails, the Reporter license may be suspended.
    To ensure license integrity, Reporter VA periodically communicates with the Symantec license portal to validate the issued
    licenses. This requires continuous successful network connectivity with the Symantec network.
    To allow for temporary WAN outages, this operation continues for 12 hours or until a successful license validation
    occurs. After 12 hours of unsuccessful validation, the Reporter license state changes to invalid. Until this license issue is
    resolved, you can continue to use all Reporter functionality except for new database and log source creation;
    furthermore, Reporter halts the processing of all new data in existing databases

With this clearly comes the question of the offline license. Currently, the offline license is not something that is generally made available, and so a lot of our documentation is geared toward the vast majority of people who have a normal license. For more details, I would suggest reaching out to your Partner / Sales team.

Hope this helps!

• 3.  RE: Reporter VA

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 09, 2020 03:50 PM
    You start with a nornal reporter virtual license, then you have to order the OLL ( off line license) and then you have to request the two to be paired.  It's a awfully manual process, I know.  I hope this has changed since I did it months ago.

• 4.  RE: Reporter VA

Posted Apr 21, 2021 11:14 PM
    We're looking at reporter AWS version, any idea when can it be out?