Management Center and Reporting

View Only
  • 1.  Reporter Database Backup

Posted Nov 23, 2020 12:47 PM
    Hi everyone, If I take a reporter database backup, it will contain exactly what? the pre-generated reports and data etc etc?

------------------------------
    Symantec Enthusiast

• 2.  RE: Reporter Database Backup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2020 01:37 PM
    Hello Symspec, 

That is correct the database backup is an identical copy of the raw database, that provides data for the prebuild reports and custom reports.
    Make sure your Reporter VA has enough space for that backup as the backup will have the same size as the original database.
    More details about the DB backup and how to can be found in the Symantec Reporter Admin Guide for the running RP Version as the option may vary depending on the version.

I hope this helps.
    Slava

• 3.  RE: Reporter Database Backup

Posted Nov 23, 2020 01:55 PM
    Hi @Slava, thanks for your reply. I looked into the documentation but was not able to find answers to the below questions.

I would appreciate if you can be kind enough to answer the below queries.

1) Is there a way I can find the size of the existing database so that I am aware what would be the size of the database backup file?

2) Once we run the database backup, approximately how much time it will take for its completion. Does it take a long time to complete? Is there a way we can check its progress, like how much completed?

3) Lets say our Reporter VA becomes corrupted. We re-install it again from the scratch and are using the same version for Reporter.  Once we restore the database backup which we took earlier, are we going to see the same reports and data which we were seeing before when we took the database backup? 

Thanks​

Symantec Enthusiast

• 4.  RE: Reporter Database Backup

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 23, 2020 03:06 PM
    Hello SymSpec, 

1. If you get a chance to login to the Reporter GUI you will find all of the System Resources and Data Usage/size under the Administration-> System Diagnostics.
    2. There is no fix ETA or formula as all of the factors are dynamic , in your case, all depends on Disk, SSD or mechanical, CPU how many threads, cores , how many strings per each line of the traffic log etc, how big is the DB. There is no approximate time , you start it and wait until its done. 
    3. I would expect so.

I hope this helps.
    Slava