Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Update Live Update Policy on clients no longer connected to SEPM

Posted Apr 03, 2020 11:54 AM
    A problem I am sure most people are dealing with now - I have a lot of people who took their work computer home.  The Update Policy was to get Updates from the SEPM.  I changed the policy to now use the Symantec Live Update server.  But of course I can't push that out.  The SEP client is password protected.   What is the easiest way to update each client?  Can I just create a new install package and have people download it from the cloud and run it?  Will that just overwrite what they have?  Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

------------------------------
    John R.

• 2.  RE: Update Live Update Policy on clients no longer connected to SEPM

Posted Apr 06, 2020 08:46 AM

Morning, are you using the symantec cloud console? 

if so where did you set that setting to use LU?

Wish I had an answer for you on this but like you I am stuck.

• 3.  RE: Update Live Update Policy on clients no longer connected to SEPM

Posted Apr 06, 2020 10:13 AM
    Can your users connect via VPN to the office so they can update the policy from the SEPM?
    If not, then maybe you can create new installation package, upload it on some share where they can access it and send them the link with few steps how they can manually install/upgrade the client.

• 4.  RE: Update Live Update Policy on clients no longer connected to SEPM

Posted Apr 06, 2020 10:19 AM
    I prefer not to give them all VPN access - that was a possibility though.  Yes, I think the best option is to just create an install for them to update.  Quick question - if I have the client interface password protected - will they get prompted for that password when they run a new install (reinstall)?

ChemSoft| Inc.

• 5.  RE: Update Live Update Policy on clients no longer connected to SEPM

Posted Apr 06, 2020 10:57 AM
    It will work fine, users will not get pop-up for password. I just tested the following scenario:
    Client with older SEP version and has a password for opening the client interface, for stopping the service and for un-installing SEP. I ran the newer SEP version EXE and it didn't ask for any password, upgraded fine and just machine has to be restarted after that

• 6.  RE: Update Live Update Policy on clients no longer connected to SEPM

Posted Apr 06, 2020 11:02 AM
    OK, thanks - client already has the latest SEP version - so I am assuming install will just update policy - appreciate your help!

ChemSoft| Inc.