Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Deleting clients from SEPM

• 1.  Deleting clients from SEPM

Posted May 29, 2014 11:06 AM

Good Morning - I have a few PCs that are listed in my SEPM - but they are not anywhere listed in our Active Directory.  If I delete the PCs from the SEPM - are they considered GONE??? or will they still get def updates because they have SEP on them?  how does that work?

• 2.  RE: Deleting clients from SEPM

Posted May 29, 2014 11:08 AM

Are they managed by SEPM? If they are, they will still continue to check in to SEPM and get updates, policy, etc..regardless of what's showing in AD.

Basically, if they are managed and can connect to the SEPM, the SEPM will manage them :)

• 3.  RE: Deleting clients from SEPM

Posted May 29, 2014 11:12 AM

so if I delete them from the SEPM will they still get updates?

• 4.  RE: Deleting clients from SEPM

Posted May 29, 2014 11:24 AM

If you delete it in SEPM, it will just check back in based on heartbeat and show up again...so yes, it would get updates. If you don't want it managed then you can install the unmanaged client.

• 5.  RE: Deleting clients from SEPM

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 29, 2014 11:38 AM

Hi,

If they are not listed in the Active directory but listed in the SEPM console so it can be possible there are duplicate entries. Are you using Clone image software?

Could you verify those machines IP address and hostname and try to cross check into Active directory.

For any reason if you don't want to have SEP on it, remove it through add/remove programs or can convert them to unmanaged client.

• 6.  RE: Deleting clients from SEPM

Posted May 29, 2014 11:54 AM

I suppose the question is:  does the SEPM think these clients are online?  Does the icon have a little green dot on it in the SEPM console?

If the client record on the SEPM is online, then deleting them from the console will be temporary.  The client record will be recreated the next time it checks into the SEPM (where it will then take up a license and update from the SEPM or as configured by the LU Policy).

If the client record on the SEPM is offline (and has been for some time), then it should drop off the SEPM automatically anyway (after a default 30 days).

• 7.  RE: Deleting clients from SEPM

Posted May 30, 2014 06:28 PM

that is the problem - we cannot connect to it -remote to it- nothing!!  so... the only way to get rid of them would be by getting rid of the SEPM it communicates with??

thx

• 8.  RE: Deleting clients from SEPM

Posted May 30, 2014 06:42 PM

If they're managed by the SEPM and you delete from the SEPM, they will just come back during the next heartbeat.

So you either have to make it unmanaged or decommission them. Some manual work is needed.

• 9.  RE: Deleting clients from SEPM

Posted May 31, 2014 01:28 AM

Managed client- Client which reports inside SEPM which can be managed from SEPM, will have a Sylink.xml file, this file will have info about IP address / port number of SEPM server. How often it connects to SEPM is based on heartbeat ( Push mode/ Pull mode) . So, If a  client is managed and if you delete that from SEPM it will connect back in the next heartbeat cycle. If you dont want clients to report to SEPM, then just uninstall the SEP, install it from CD1 of SEP folder

• 10.  RE: Deleting clients from SEPM

Posted May 31, 2014 01:33 AM

Have you ping out and remote of any system?

In which group it display at SEPM?

If it is in default group then may be that client is in network and on workgroup.

Check these point and confirm.

• 11.  RE: Deleting clients from SEPM

Posted Jun 02, 2014 03:29 AM

It sounds like your aim is much the same at that in the below thread:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/need-change-pc-unmanaged-without-access-machine

It seems they also have some SEP clients checking into their SEPM to which they have no control or access.

Take a look at my post about using the HI policy (if available) to make the client unmanaged will mean they will no longer check into your SEPM.  This means they can then be deleted from the console and will not return.

• 12.  RE: Deleting clients from SEPM

Posted Dec 08, 2021 05:48 AM
    @SMLatCST,
    you also receive "You are not eligible to view this message" when trying to open the link ?​