Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

• 1.  Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

Posted Dec 20, 2019 06:20 AM

Hello.

So, I have a couple of MACs running SEP, and recentrly I pushed newest update (14.2 RU2) for them.

This version adds support for OSX Catalina (10.15), and, as far as I can see, on Catalina everything is really fine.

But older OSX versions (10.13, 10.14) face a couple of troubles:

1. Random reboots. I don't know, how it is called in OSX terminology, but I mean black screen with white text "Your computer restarted because of a problem. Press a key or wait a few seconds to continue starting up."

2. Firewall notifications. At my SEPM server, my firewall policy for MACs have entry "Display a notification on the computer when the client blocks an application" disabled. But, ignoring this, users began to face notifications about different remote connections with buttons "allow" and "deny". The strangest part is the header of notifications - it says "Norton Security" :) Tested a bit, withdrawing firewall policy via SEPM prevents notifications from spawning.

Maybe anyone else faced these issues? Any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

Posted Dec 20, 2019 06:23 AM

P.S. Both issues are gone, if I remove SEP at all, or if I downgrade SEP to previous version (for example, tried 14.2.4815.1101), so I'm sure both troubles are somehow related to SEP 14.2 RU2 (14.2.5323.2000).

• 3.  RE: Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

Posted Jan 15, 2020 05:00 AM

Would love to hear about this, one of our Macs running OSX 10.14 has seen these black screens now as well.

• 4.  RE: Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

Posted Jan 24, 2020 03:18 PM

Have you found a fix for this?  We are having the exact same issue.  macOS 10.15 devices are fine.  Several 10.14.x devices randomly rebooting (kernel panic).  If I remove SEP 14.2 ru2 or downgrade back to 14.2 ru1 the issue goes away.  We are also getting the allow/block notifications from Norton Security.

• 5.  RE: Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

Posted Jan 27, 2020 06:18 PM

No, unfortunately, I have not found fix for this yet. I use latest SEP on Catalina, and previous SEP release for older MacOS versions.

Although, I need to mention, that I didn't know about changes in creating MAC installation packages until recently updating my SEPM to latest release. I'm talking about two options of exporting MAC installation package, which they introduced recently: "macOS 10.14 or lower" and "macOS 10.15 or up". (I saw this change in some help article, but I really can't find that article at the moment).

May be, *MAY BE*, issue can be somehow related to this "new feature". As far is I remember, article said something like "if you use older SEPM release, packages will be created as "macOS 10.14 or lower"", so it's probably not the case. But... again, may be.

• 6.  RE: Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

Posted Jan 28, 2020 08:09 AM

We actually have used the specific installer for "macOS 10.14 or lower" and still have the kernel panics on non-Catalina devices.

How are you deploying SEP?  I used the installer package to "create remote deployment package" and then deploy using Jamf.  I've noticed on a few test devices that if I just use the installer and not the remote deployment package, that I'm not getting the kernel panics.  However, this is not a feasible solution as I have 700 Macs that I need to deploy this to, and the SEP installer (not the remote deployment package) requires user intervention for installation.

We had a support call with Symantec last week and the tech had us create a new deployment package with a few settings changes, but that dit not fix the issue.  We are supposed to have another call with them today.  If we find a solution, I'll definitely update this page and let you know what we find.

• 7.  RE: Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

Posted Jan 28, 2020 08:12 AM

We actually have used the specific installer for "macOS 10.14 or lower" and still have the kernel panics on non-Catalina devices.

How are you deploying SEP?  I used the installer package to "create remote deployment package" and then deploy using Jamf.  I've noticed on a few test devices that if I just use the installer and not the remote deployment package, that I'm not getting the kernel panics.  However, this is not a feasible solution as I have 700 Macs that I need to deploy this to, and the SEP installer (not the remote deployment package) requires user intervention for installation.

We had a support call with Symantec last week and the tech had us create a new deployment package with a few settings changes, but that dit not fix the issue.  We are supposed to have another call with them today.  If we find a solution, I'll definitely update this page and let you know what we find.

• 8.  RE: Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

Posted Mar 30, 2020 12:14 PM
    Hello Jeffery,

I happen to have the same issue here. Random kernel-panics shut down my Mac with 10.14.6 (Mojave). Since I uninstalled the Endpoint Client, no more crashes.
    Did you find any solution to this?
    Thank you

Andrea

• 9.  RE: Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

Posted Mar 31, 2020 11:57 AM
    Hi, Jeffrey. I too am curious if you or Symantec resolved this issue. We have about 10 Macs running 10.14.6 that started having random panics. We uninstalled SEP and the panics stopped.

• 10.  RE: Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

Posted Jan 28, 2020 09:03 AM

How are you deploying SEP?

For existing agents I deploy updates via remote push (via SEPM itself), new agents I install locally via exported packages.

I've noticed on a few test devices that if I just use the installer and not the remote deployment package, that I'm not getting the kernel panics.

Did not test it. Interesting idea, though. I will try it. Thank you.

If we find a solution, I'll definitely update this page and let you know what we find.

Ok, thanks in advance. Good luck.

• 11.  RE: Troubles running SEP 14.2 RU2 on OSX prior to Catalina (< 10.15)

Posted Sep 23, 2020 06:06 PM
    Did you ever find a resolution to this?
    My institution previously made available to us SEP 14.2.0 (14.2 RU0) build 760 (14.2.760.0000), and all has been good with this release on my High Sierra  10.13.6.
    I've been waiting for my folks to make available the next release of SEP, so I can upgrade my system to Mojave 10.4.x

As such, they just released 14.2.2  RU2 MP1 - 14.2.5569.2100, stating it was good for MacOS 10.11 El Capitan - through - 10.14 Mojave.
    Before upgrading to Mojave, while still on High Sierra, I tried upgrading to this new version over my existing SEP 14.2.0.
    The same day, I started getting random MacOS Crashes / restarts - Kernel Panics.
    I tried removing SEP totally, the panics stopped.   I installed the updated 14.2.2 again, now no previous SEP was present.  The Panics returned.
    I uninstalled 14.2.2 again, the Panics stopped.   I installed the old version 14.2.0, like I was originally, and still no more panics.
    So there seems to be an issue with the 14.2.2 distribution my organization put out for download.  (they have a separate installer download for Catalina).
    If I can direct them to a solution that was previously found, that may be helpful.
    Thank you in advance.