Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Threat Defense for AD and SESC

Posted Aug 06, 2020 07:14 PM
    posting in this community as there seems to be more engagement in here....

We are about to go down the path of moving from SEP 14 with SEPM on prem to SESC.  I was hoping to move to SESC with the cloud based management.

However after reading the documentation for TDfAD it requires a SEPM server.  So does that mean I can run Hybrid or do I have to stay on-prem only for the SESC?   I can't see any mention in the docs about integrating with the cloud based SES management.

I have also logged a support case (32146519) and the initial response was you can have SESC and TDAD!!!!

I then replied

and now I wait

It would seem as though there is not much product knowledge around the place that's easily accessible.. I'm sure there are people that know all about this stuff, someone had to create the software, but where are they? 

Just getting very frustrated as I'm under time pressure to get this sorted out..  I should have the SESC licences in a couple of days and I need to get moving on it!!

• 2.  RE: Threat Defense for AD and SESC

Posted Aug 06, 2020 07:44 PM
    Just curious what is the difference between SEPC and SEPE? 

We are in the process of moving from SEP SBE Cloud to SEPE cloud.

Mark Johnson

• 3.  RE: Threat Defense for AD and SESC

Posted Aug 06, 2020 08:11 PM
    Hey Mark

I think SEP SBE is moving to SES(E)  

There is SESE - Symantec Endpoint Security Enterprise
    and
    SESC - Symantec Endpoint Security Complete

There are only the 2 versions of SES, SESE and SESC and it seems SES is used to describe SESE.

It's a bit confusing and the lack of information from our disti has been rather dissapointing

From - https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/endpoint-security-en

• 4.  RE: Threat Defense for AD and SESC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 07, 2020 10:47 AM
    Edited by SYMC_KrisG Aug 07, 2020 10:49 AM
    That chart is accurate.

Here's the big takeaways:
    1. SEP on-prem is included in all three options (SEP, SESE, SESC), so you don't have to be in a huge hurry to migrate to cloud.
    2. Some features with on-prem SEP are not included in the SESE cloud component (check the chart).
    3. SESC includes on-prem and cloud EDR, our Threat Defense for Active Directory (on-prem), and our forensics and Threat Hunter (human review of data by Broadcom).
    4. SEP Mobile is included in SESE and SESC. The feature set for mobile is the same for both Enterprise and Complete.
    5. Secure Network Connection will create VPN access automatically if the device is cloud enrolled (Windows, iOS, and supported Android versions). If the software is unsure of the Wi-Fi or network, then it kicks in a VPN; if that fails, policies can be set to either warn the end user or just drop the connection automatically.

I hope this clarifies a few things.

------------------------------
    Kris Gainsforth
    Solutions Engineer
    Broadcom

• 5.  RE: Threat Defense for AD and SESC

Posted Aug 07, 2020 04:41 PM
    Edited by NathanO Aug 07, 2020 04:45 PM
    Kris

Very interested in the Secure Network Connection part.  Where does it create the VPN back to?

this could be a great solution for our VPN situation.  

• 6.  RE: Threat Defense for AD and SESC

Posted Aug 25, 2020 10:01 PM
    Amazing Content on this website.I Like it.Thanks for sharing.

• 7.  RE: Threat Defense for AD and SESC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 07, 2020 11:06 AM
    To answer your original question, the bare minimum you need is TDAD and a SEPM. Most customers will keep the SEP client installed on their AD machines connected to an on-prem SEPM and then connect TDAD to that. You can still hybrid enroll the SEPM for visibility/cloud policies.

Kris Gainsforth
    Solutions Engineer
    Broadcom

• 8.  RE: Threat Defense for AD and SESC

Posted Aug 26, 2020 03:40 AM
    HI Guys, can i ask a more basic question.
    I have SEPM 14 on premises that has been around for years.
    Are the products referred to in the above brochure :-
    a) "New" and that all original SEPM 14 clients will have to migrate to, or
    b) is this an alternative product suite , and SEPM 14 will remain as is.

If a), which of the 'New' products what would my existing SEPM 14 Licenses be equivalent to ?

Also, i have been very unhappy with the transition from Symantec to Broadcom. It hasn't gone very well. and i'm 50/50 about leaving Broadcom. I have always liked SEPM, but is the Tech support with broadcom getting any better. If you can't rely on getting good quality, and timely support for the product, then its time to move away.

RFEL

• 9.  RE: Threat Defense for AD and SESC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 26, 2020 04:37 PM
    Are the products referred to in the above brochure :-
    a) "New" and that all original SEPM 14 clients will have to migrate to, or
    b) is this an alternative product suite , and SEPM 14 will remain as is.

If a), which of the 'New' products what would my existing SEPM 14 Licenses be equivalent to ?

The answer right now is 'b' - you can continue on with SEP (on-prem license) if you prefer to stick with that.

SESE/SESC are alternative product suites/licensing vehicles and include the SEP on-prem licenses as well.

SESE would be the closest equivalent SEP-only license in that it includes all of the familiar protection technologies that SEP provides via cloud, the capability to protect mobile devices, and includes the license for SEP on-prem.

SESC includes licensing for SEP on-prem, mobile device protection, cloud-managed option, and the additional security technologies like EDR, TDAD, App Isolation/Control, etc.