Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Linux RHEL client install questions

Posted Oct 23, 2020 11:38 AM
    We are beginning the install of SEP 14.3.x to our Linux systems running various versions of Red Hat. Our cloud engineers asked me these questions but I don't have all the answers, any info would be appreciated.

• Is there a 64bit agent? 
      • We would avoid having to install all those 32bit binaries in the doc.
      • If not does the vendor have any plans to create one?
    • Does the agent need its own filesystem?
      • If it does how big?
    • What user will this agent run as?
      • Will there be a local account which this Symantec agent will use? (for Windows, its just local account, not sure about Linux)

• 2.  RE: Linux RHEL client install questions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 27, 2020 08:34 PM
    There is not a 64-bit agent at this time. If you have a use case or other reason, feel free to place a feature request in our ideation site (located in the top nav bar of the Communities site) under Endpoint Protection.

The agent is installed into /opt/symantec by default. No specialty filesystem is needed, just space under /opt.

I am personally reconfiguring a SEPM in my lab this week, so I will be able to give you more confirmation of the user later. Most other Symantec Linux agents run as root; I would assume to be the same.

------------------------------
    Kris Gainsforth
    Solutions Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: Linux RHEL client install questions

Posted Oct 29, 2020 09:06 AM
    Edited by Sherri Austin Oct 29, 2020 09:42 AM
    Thank you for the reply Chris. If we did want to request a 64-bit agent, do you know if this would happen reasonable quick or would it just be a future feature request?-------------------------------------------

Also, does SES have a 64-bit RHEL client?

Original Message:
    Sent: 10-27-2020 08:34 PM
    Subject: Linux RHEL client install questions

There is not a 64-bit agent at this time. If you have a use case or other reason, feel free to place a feature request in our ideation site (located in the top nav bar of the Communities site) under Endpoint Protection.

The agent is installed into /opt/symantec by default. No specialty filesystem is needed, just space under /opt.

I am personally reconfiguring a SEPM in my lab this week, so I will be able to give you more confirmation of the user later. Most other Symantec Linux agents run as root; I would assume to be the same.

Kris Gainsforth
    Solutions Engineer
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: Linux RHEL client install questions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 29, 2020 11:59 AM
    Feature Requests would not happen quickly. It would take time if they decide to implement your request.

John Owens
    Strategic Support Engineer | Symantec Enterprise Division (SED)
    Symantec
    United States

• 5.  RE: Linux RHEL client install questions

Posted Nov 03, 2020 09:42 AM
    Thanks everyone. Another question from our engineers regarding Linux install:

We have some questions around leaving the kernel-headers / kernel-devel / gcc packages installed post SEP installation. Normally, we have not had those installed for security reasons and believe we can automate the removal once SEP is installed. And if we update the kernel in the future, we will probably need to re-install those on a temporary basis so that SEP can re-compile the kernel module against the new kernel.  

Can you check with Symantec and see if that is supported once the install has compiled the kernel module? And also ask if it uses those kernel packages and gcc for anything else once the install is completed?

• 6.  RE: Linux RHEL client install questions

Posted Nov 04, 2020 01:05 PM
    anyone on this?

• 7.  RE: Linux RHEL client install questions

Posted Nov 05, 2020 05:31 AM
    These libs are development tools for auto-compile for an "unsupported" client which has no pre-compiled version of Auto-Protect.
    https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article?legacyId=INFO2514

You should test it in your lab environment, install sep and after that remove these libs. 

• 8.  RE: Linux RHEL client install questions

Posted Oct 29, 2020 10:40 AM
    The Linux agent runs with root rights as the Windows client runs with System rights. For the AV to work as intended it needs those priviliges on the system.