Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Sizing chart for SQL for application learning

Posted May 13, 2020 08:13 PM
    My client wants to set up application learning, presumably to implement app whitelisting.

I read some posts elsewhere suggesting that enabling this may cause a lot of database and CPU pressure, and that it was recommended to use SQL database if this is enabled.  However I can't find any SEP articles which support this.

Our config is four on-prem SEPM across the globe with about 2200 clients in total. The subordinate managers all replicate and feed upwards client log data to the parent manager in AU
    All managers are using the default embedded database currently.

I'd prefer not to invest energy or expense converting this all into SQL database preferably. We are gradually staging over to Sep cloud also. Although we aren't in any hurry to migrate the existing on-prem deployment.

I can't really see any value in this application learning to begin with, it just seems to be a jumble of discovered exe's from the pilot device group I tested it on.

Any advice appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Sizing chart for SQL for application learning

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 14, 2020 10:24 AM

Hi There,

This is what we have for Application Learning Best Practices.

https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/152581/application-learning-best-practices-for.html

------------------------------
    John Owens
    Principal Product Support
    Symantec
    United States
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Sizing chart for SQL for application learning

Posted May 15, 2020 12:47 AM
    Thanks John.
    It doesn't have any relative values, much like every other document I have seen about the database sizing, it's always words like "a lot of". But this is enough to confirm to me that it's not worth spending energy on in the first place

thanks