Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  IPS

Posted May 06, 2021 12:26 AM
    Hello,

My SEP Client 14.2 RU1 enabled all components of IPS. So, can SEP Client block traffic to URL malicious without upgrade to 14.3 and enable URL Reputation?

• 2.  RE: IPS

Posted May 07, 2021 07:30 AM
    Based on my experience I'll split your question in two sections :
    q: can SEP Client block traffic to URL malicious without upgrade to 14.3 
    a: URL reputation, is a reputation service and as long as traffic ( in pre 14.3 version ) is matching against an IPS signature that traffic will get blocked

q: URL Reputation itself ( introduced in 14.3 RU1https://techdocs.broadcom.com/us/en/symantec-security-software/endpoint-security-and-management/endpoint-protection/all/release-notes/Whats-new-for-Symantec-Endpoint-Protection-14_3-RU1.html )
    a: Think of it as the file based reputation, but now Broadcom is having a seperate web based reputation/scoring service for URLs. I'd assume that based on certain URL artifacts ( like age, number of users visiting it ) that will have a certain score which in combination with IPS/FW can block web traffic and potentially prevent an attack in a very early stage, even before traffic gets matched against an IPS signature.

Again ( and that's just my opinion ) - pre 14.3 RU1 clients are still fine with IPS, but will be lacking that extra URL reputation feature. I'll let someone from Broadcom give more in depth explanation.

Cheers !