Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  How to use DoScan.exe to start a Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client scan from a command-line in Asp.net c#

• 2.  RE: How to use DoScan.exe to start a Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client scan from a command-line in Asp.net c#
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 03, 2019 09:24 AM

Hi Harpreet,

Most of the time I user powershell, but if you are looking for any application launch ( .exe ) with arguments , this is the blue print

using System.Diagnostics;

// Prepare the process to run
    ProcessStartInfo start = new ProcessStartInfo();
    // Enter in the command line arguments, everything you would enter after the executable name itself
    start.Arguments = arguments; 
    // Enter the executable to run, including the complete path
    start.FileName = ExeName;
    // Do you want to show a console window?
    start.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden;
    start.CreateNoWindow = true;
    int exitCode;

// Run the external process & wait for it to finish
    using (Process proc = Process.Start(start))
    {
         proc.WaitForExit();

// Retrieve the app's exit code
         exitCode = proc.ExitCode;
    }

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/240171/launching-an-application-exe-from-c

• 3.  RE: How to use DoScan.exe to start a Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client scan from a command-line in Asp.net c#

Posted Mar 30, 2020 11:52 AM
    I'm working to a website with a form where the user can upload a file and i developed a method that performs a realtime scan of the files uploaded on the website (.net application in c#).
    I have a problem, i get always 0 as exitcode and i fear that the string i specify as Arguments to the process object is wrong and that the file scan is not executed at all.

Process p = new Process();

string exefileName = "\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\DoScan.exe\"";

ProcessStartInfo processInfo = new ProcessStartInfo();
    processInfo.FileName = exefileName;
    processInfo.Arguments = "/c \"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Symantec\\Symantec Endpoint Protection\\DoScan.exe\" /ScanFile \"E:\\WWW\\myfolder\\myfile.com\"";
    p.StartInfo = processInfo;

p.StartInfo.RedirectStandardError = true;
    p.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = false;
    p.StartInfo.RedirectStandardOutput = true;

p.Start();
    p.WaitForExit(5000); //wait

int exitCode = -1;
    if (p.WaitForExit(5000))
    {
    exitCode = p.ExitCode;
    }

Can you help me please?
    Thanks

• 4.  RE: How to use DoScan.exe to start a Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client scan from a command-line in Asp.net c#

Posted Oct 04, 2019 03:11 AM

Can anyone tell me how to create a separate log file for each scan as I am using version 14.2.3332.1000.105

• 5.  RE: How to use DoScan.exe to start a Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client scan from a command-line in Asp.net c#

Posted Oct 04, 2019 04:03 AM

Thanks Rafeeq and can you please tell me what paramter to pass to create a separate log file for each scan

• 6.  RE: How to use DoScan.exe to start a Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client scan from a command-line in Asp.net c#

Posted Oct 04, 2019 04:49 AM

Hi Harpreet,

DateTime date = DateTime.Now; // will give the date for today
    string dateWithFormat = date.ToString("dd - MM - yyyy");

/logfile="c:\temp\LogFile-DatewithFormat.log"

Do you see /logfile in the cmd line options? I belive it doesnt exist in version 14.XXX

please check this code as well

https://www.codeproject.com/Questions/418603/Calling-DoScan-exe-utility-from-Command-Line

• 7.  RE: How to use DoScan.exe to start a Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client scan from a command-line in Asp.net c#

Posted Oct 04, 2019 04:52 AM

Hi Rafeeq,

I already check these options as nothing works for version 14 these options are worked till version 11.

• 8.  RE: How to use DoScan.exe to start a Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client scan from a command-line in Asp.net c#

Posted Oct 04, 2019 07:04 AM

Hi Harpreet,

the /logfile does not exist in newer versions, time to add an enchancement request

https://support.symantec.com/us/en/article.tech215657.html